Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/29 06:20:24 UTC

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 Release Restructuring

hi,

As I understood we are going to shift the Axis2 as five sperate artifacts.

1. Kernal
2. Axis2 Server
3. Axis2 Client
4. Tools
5. Optional

what are the things we going to shift on each module? to which modules we
are going to put other jars?
(i.e axiom, neethi, common jars)

Does Axis2 server and Axis2 Client supposed to have only the Runtime jars?
In user list I saw lot of people ask
this question. What is the minimal set of jars needed at runtime?

adb-codegen and codegen modules are not used in runtime. I think they should
also goes to the
tools package. And also java2wsdl is only used in Serverside I think.

why you have put the samples to the kernal distribution?

what about the jaxws, fastinfoset. mex etc are we going to put them all to
optional package?

Actually how are we going to define the content of Axis2 server and client?
if I say the content of the
1. Axis2 Server as
the minal set of jars needed to deploy a service written using the
RawXmlMessageReceiver

and the Axis2 client as
the minmal set of jars needed to invoke that service using Service Client
interface?

Thanks,
Amila.

On 10/29/07, Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> wrote:

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: How control the service remotely

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.
Why are you creating a new configuration context?. Thats the fault. Take a
look at org.wso2.wsas.admin.service.AxisConfigAdmin in the admin module. It
takes the configContext as
AxisConfiguration axisConfiguration =
                MessageContext.getCurrentMessageContext()
                        .getConfigurationContext().getAxisConfiguration();

Thanks,
Keith.

Posted by neo qing <ne...@msn.com>.
Hi Keith:
            I read some sources of WSO2 WSAS and I find a class can help me,I write down like below:
ConfigurationContext configContext=ConfigurationContextFactory.createConfigurationContextFromFileSystem("C:\\wso2\\repository","C:\\wso2\\conf\\axis2.xml");  AxisService service=configContext.getAxisConfiguration().getService("echo");  service.setActive(true);

I run it with JUnit, the result is OK,but I return to the console,I find that the status of the service has not been changed!
who can help me on this?
thanks!

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:17:53 +0530From: keithgchapman@gmail.comTo: axis-dev@ws.apache.orgSubject: Re: How control the service remotelyWSO2 WSAS manages services via deployed admin services. Its an open source project so you can take a dip and have a look at it. Please have a look at the admin module cause thats what will interest you.You can see details of the project here http://wso2.org/projects/wsas/javaAnd also access the source code there.Thanks,Keith.

Hi everyone:             I want to control the service that deployed in the servlet container with AXIS2, such as, list the services,stop,start the service,currently I take a unstable approache that I post a request like 'axis-admin/deactive' to the target server, mostly it is available but I do not think it is a good idea.              I have read the source of AXIS2, I find a class named "org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AdminAgent", it can manage the service,but it use a method like below ConfigurationContext  configContext = ConfigurationContextFactory.createConfigurationContext(new WarBasedAxisConfigurator(config)); ……………… AxisService service = configContext.getAxisConfiguration().getServiceForActivation(serviceName);                service.setActive(true); the variable 'config' is a instance of ServeletConfig but I do not want to bind the function to the container because I want to expose the function as a web service. the question is :How can I get the AxisConfigu

Discover the new Windows Vista Learn more! -- Keith ChapmanWSO2 Inc.Oxygen for Web Services Developers.http://wso2.org/

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 30, 2007 3:44 PM, Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have misunderstood the thing.
> you mean
> 1. minimal distribution with
>        server,client and kernal
> 2. full distribution with
>        minmal + optional
> 3. Tools distribution with
>        tools

Didn't we have something similar  earlier, before Axis2 1.0 I think. We
merged it into a single distribution later on since it is a big hassle to
manage many distros. I am not in favor of going for multiple distributions
since we've gone through the pain of managing them before.

> --
Thanks
Afkham Azeez

http://www.wso2.org

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 Release Restructuring

Posted by Lahiru Sandakith <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amila,

please see my comment below,

On 11/2/07, Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/1/07, Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Amila,
> >
> > 1. From what I read I thought one of the issues (and an issue that I
> > raised) was the large number of Axis2 jars. I understood from the
> > conversation that's been taking place that the function in the many Axis
> >
> > jars would be rolled up into 3 (or 5) jars, not 3 zip (or tar, etc.)
> > distros containing many jar files.
>

> So you talking about the rolling axis2 jars into smaller number of jars.
> As chinthaka has told in here
> you want to roll all the axis2 jars into axis2-core.jar isn't it?
> And also rolled up all the axis2 jars into 3 jars like
> 1. axis2-core.jar
> 2. axis2-optional.jar
> 3. axis2-tools.jar

I clearly understand how axis2-core and axis2-optional fits together. I am
bit gray about how axis2-tools.jar add a value, because currently we have
several individual tools [command line tools , ide plugins , meven plugins
etc.] that has value individually and currently with the axis2 release, we
release them individually as Tools.
Thanks
Lahiru

I saw this entry in the kernal pom.xml file

--
Thanks
Lahiru Sandakith

http://sandakith.wordpress.com/
GPG Key Fingerprint : 8CD8 68E0 4CBC 75CB 25BC  1AB1 FE5E 7464 1F01 9A0F

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 Release Restructuring

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On 11/1/07, Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Amila,
>
> 1. From what I read I thought one of the issues (and an issue that I
> raised) was the large number of Axis2 jars. I understood from the
> conversation that's been taking place that the function in the many Axis
> jars would be rolled up into 3 (or 5) jars, not 3 zip (or tar, etc.)
> distros containing many jar files.

So you talking about the rolling axis2 jars into smaller number of jars. As
chinthaka has told in here
you want to roll all the axis2 jars into axis2-core.jar isn't it?
And also rolled up all the axis2 jars into 3 jars like
1. axis2-core.jar
2. axis2-optional.jar
3. axis2-tools.jar

2. There are two Woden implementations: DOM based and OM (Axiom) based.

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 Release Restructuring

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Thanks for clearing up my confusion about the jars Chinthaka.

WRT Woden's Axiom implementation, I'm pretty sure John Kaputin has been
keeping it in sync with the DOM implementation. With Woden's new
modularized build, Axis2 should be able to pick up only the Axiom based
implementation.

John - Can you confirm that the Woden Axiom implementation in sync with
the DOM implementation?

Thanks,

Lawrence

Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>
11/01/2007 10:22 PM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

axis-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Axis2] Axis2 Release Restructuring

There seems to be slight misunderstanding. What Lawrence as asking is
that will we generate just one jar out of the names modules and include
that in the minimal (I'd like to this to be called as core distro)
distribution.
I think we agreed to that. So as Amila mentioned there won't be 5 jars
(namely axis2-adb-codegen-SNAPSHOT.jar, axis2-adb-SNAPSHOT.jar,
axis2-codegen-SNAPSHOT.jar, axis2-java2wsdl-SNAPSHOT.jar,
axis2-kernel-SNAPSHOT.jar ) in the core distro. It will be just
axis2-core-<version>.jar.

About Woden axiom implementation. Yes I prefer to have that. But is it
maintained now. I know Oshani was working on that for her SoC, but can
we use it as it is now and ship only that. Aren't there any changes in
the DOMReader that should be implemented in the AxiomReader? If not then
I am +1 for using that.

Thanks,
Chinthaka

- --
Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 Release Restructuring

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Lawrence Mandel wrote:
> [...]
>

>> what I want to say is that we need a proper boundry definition about
>> what should goes to minimal distribution.
>> with some logical reasoning. Otherwise we have to discuss this again
>> when implementing.
>
> Agreed. That is why I made this a proposal rather than a vote :). We
> discussed this packaging issues couple of times and changed packaging
> couple of time. When Axis2 evolves and we get more insight in to user
> experience, we might want to change ourselves to cater for this
> requirements. I myself found it bit difficult/confused to use Axis2 once
> as a user. That is why I am proposing sth like this.
>
> Yes, let's discuss about this. And we might also want to revise this
> once the next release manager (Amila will it be you ;) ) try to
> implement this packaging proposal.
>
> So are we agreed to this three level distro?

- --
Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 Release Restructuring

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> 2. annogen-0.1.0.jar
> 3. backport-util-concurrent-2.2.jar
> 4. commons-codec-1.3.jar
> 5. commons-fileupload-1.1.1.jar
> 6. commons-httpclient-3.0.1.jar
> 7. commons-io-1.2.jar
> 8. commons-logging-1.1.jar
> 9. geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec-1.1.jar
> 10. geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec-1.0.jar
> 11. httpcore-4.0-alpha5.jar
> 12. httpcore-nio-4.0-alpha5.jar
> 13. httpcore-niossl-4.0-alpha5.jar
> 14. jalopy-1.5rc3.jar
> 15. jaxen-1.1.1.jar
> 16. jettison-1.0-RC1.jar
> 17. log4j-1.2.14.jar
> 18. stax-api-1.0.1.jar
> 19. wstx-asl-3.2.1.jar
> 20. xalan-2.7.0.jar
> 21. xercesImpl-2.8.1.jar
> 22. xml-apis-1.3.03.jar
>
> Are there any thing to add or remove?
> Here any way 34 jars are there. and we have left 24 jars.

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 Release Restructuring

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
Could you re-state the proposal in a new thread...? I'm not sure I've
followed this one fully.
Thanks,
David

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

<ma...@ws.apache.org>
<ma...@ws.apache.org>

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

On 11/2/07, Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> wrote:

> Amila Suriarachchi wrote:
>
> > So the minimal distribution contains the following features
> > 1. Codegen support with adb
> > 2. POJO support
> > 3. MTOM (when we includes the axiom and axis2 kernal anyway we get this)
> > 4. Addressing
> > 5. Samples ( only for above features)
> >
> > is this enogh or is there any thing to add or remove?
>
> This is what I thought also.
>

> > As I guess here are the jars we need for that,
> >
> > Axis2 jars
> > 1. axis2-adb-codegen-SNAPSHOT.jar
> > 2. axis2-adb-SNAPSHOT.jar
> > 3. axis2-codegen-SNAPSHOT.jar
> > 4. axis2-java2wsdl-SNAPSHOT.jar
> > 5. axis2-kernel-SNAPSHOT.jar
>
> I think you will also include addressing mar, right? It should be there.

yes. I fogot to metion it. repository directory should have the
addressing.mar
and have to roll all the jars to axis2-core.jar.

> > ws  jars
> > 1. axiom-api-20071017.164440-781.jar
> > 2. axiom-impl-20071017.164440-780.jar (
> > (do we need axiom-dom-20071017.164440-780.jar?)
>
> Yes we do need it.

ok so we add this.

> 3. neethi-20071017.164823-761.jar
> > 4. woden-api-1.0-incubating-20071018.161106-2.jar
> > 5. woden-impl-dom-1.0-incubating-20071018.161106-2.jar
> > 6. wsdl4j-1.6.2.jar
> > 7. XmlSchema-SNAPSHOT.jar
> >
> > other jars
> > 1. activation-1.1.jar
> > 2. annogen-0.1.0.jar
> > 3. backport-util-concurrent-2.2.jar
> > 4. commons-codec-1.3.jar
> > 5. commons-fileupload-1.1.1.jar
> > 6. commons-httpclient-3.0.1.jar
> > 7. commons-io-1.2.jar
> > 8. commons-logging-1.1.jar
>
> Grrrrr !!!!
>
> > 9. geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec-1.1.jar
>
> What is this for? If this is for annotations processing, IIRC annogen
> does the same thing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am also not sure. I put this to be in safe side.  I thought is may need
when
annotation processing with POJO. or is it something use with jax-ws?

> 10. geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec-1.0.jar
> > 11. httpcore-4.0-alpha5.jar
> > 12. httpcore-nio-4.0-alpha5.jar
> > 13. httpcore-niossl-4.0-alpha5.jar
> > 14. jalopy-1.5rc3.jar
>
> Do we need this. IIRC, this is to pretty print generated code, right? I
> prefer removing this.

yes. we don't need this.

> 15. jaxen-1.1.1.jar
> > 16. jettison-1.0-RC1.jar
>
> Do we need JSON support by default? I think we don't. Since we are not
> including json module, we can remove this.

I thought  there may be a dependency for axiom. if axiom do not need this
should remove.

Thanks,
> Chinthaka

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 Release Restructuring

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Amila Suriarachchi wrote:

> So the minimal distribution contains the following features
> 1. Codegen support with adb
> 2. POJO support
> 3. MTOM (when we includes the axiom and axis2 kernal anyway we get this)
> 4. Addressing
> 5. Samples ( only for above features)
>
> is this enogh or is there any thing to add or remove?

This is what I thought also.

> As I guess here are the jars we need for that,
>
> Axis2 jars
> 1. axis2-adb-codegen-SNAPSHOT.jar
> 2. axis2-adb-SNAPSHOT.jar
> 3. axis2-codegen-SNAPSHOT.jar
> 4. axis2-java2wsdl-SNAPSHOT.jar
> 5. axis2-kernel-SNAPSHOT.jar

I think you will also include addressing mar, right? It should be there.

> ws  jars
> 1. axiom-api-20071017.164440-781.jar
> 2. axiom-impl-20071017.164440-780.jar (
> (do we need axiom-dom-20071017.164440-780.jar?)

Yes we do need it.

> 3. neethi-20071017.164823-761.jar
> 4. woden-api-1.0-incubating-20071018.161106-2.jar
> 5. woden-impl-dom-1.0-incubating-20071018.161106-2.jar
> 6. wsdl4j-1.6.2.jar
> 7. XmlSchema-SNAPSHOT.jar
>
> other jars
> 1. activation-1.1.jar
> 2. annogen-0.1.0.jar
> 3. backport-util-concurrent-2.2.jar
> 4. commons-codec-1.3.jar
> 5. commons-fileupload-1.1.1.jar
> 6. commons-httpclient-3.0.1.jar
> 7. commons-io-1.2.jar
> 8. commons-logging-1.1.jar

Grrrrr !!!!

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Amila,

Thanks for summarizing the conversation. I take it your summary is for the
Axis2 server bundle that's been discussed. Two issues:

1. Will the 5 Axis2 jars be rolled up into a single Axis2-server jar as
has been requested and discussed?
2. You listed
woden-impl-dom-1.0-incubating-20071018.161106-2.jar
Woden has an Axiom based implementation that I thought was contributed to
support Axis2. Is the Axiom implementation not in use in Axis2?

Thanks,

Lawrence

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 Release Restructuring

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

--
Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] Axis2 Release Restructuring

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@chinthaka.org>.
Hi Amila,

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Will the kernel every be used separately from the server and client? If
not, how about rolling that into these two artifacts and reducing the
count one more to four?

1. Axis2 Server
2. Axis2 Client
3. Tools