Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me> on 2011/06/02 23:46:40 UTC

How to use OtherAction?

In looking at the ClusterActionHandlerSupport, I notice the before/after
OtherAction event.  Is this functional?  How can I trigger this event?

John C

Re: How to use OtherAction?

Posted by John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me>.
Yea, thats exactly what I'm looking for.  Basically, I'd like to dynamically
create a shell script and execute it at any time, on any node in any cluster
:-)

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand. Tom should be able to tell us more about the intended
> usage scenario for OtherAction.
>
> I just want to add that in 0.5.0 we've added support for remote script
> execution to the CLI:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-173
>
> ... and I believe what you need is a similar mechanism available in
> the core API.
>
> -- Andrei Savu
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 12:59 AM, John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me> wrote:
> > Well, the reason I want to know is two fold.  First, I'm using the whirr
> > core API to spin up and provision multiple clusters.  But on one of my
> > clusters, I'd need to push out a shell script to execute after the
> configure
> > action happens.  Basically, my code needs to generate a bunch of "stuff",
> > which it then uses to create the shell script dynamically, and I want to
> use
> > the OtherAction to push that shell script out to the instances in the
> > cluster to execute.
> > Second, I just like to know how generic extension points work, because I
> > like to come up with interesting ways to integrate APIs into what I'm
> > working on
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> > On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> What's you use case? Maybe there is another way.
> >>
> >> As far as I know no service is using OtherAction event.
> >>
> >> -- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro

> before/after

> > --
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John C

John C

Re: How to use OtherAction?

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
I've opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-324 for the
work on core that is needed to expose this.

Tom

Re: How to use OtherAction?

Posted by John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me>.
I get that its not used.  But is there some way I can "hook it up" so that I
can invoke it to execute shell scripts on running clusters?

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Tom White <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I understand. Tom should be able to tell us more about the intended
> > usage scenario for OtherAction.
>
> The "other action" call was just to cover the case if new events were
> added and not explicitly exposed in ClusterActionHandlerSupport. It's
> not currently used.
>

> > I just want to add that in 0.5.0 we've added support for remote script
> > execution to the CLI:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-173
> >
> > ... and I believe what you need is a similar mechanism available in
> > the core API.
>
> By adding a new EXECUTE_ACTION, and extending
> ClusterActionHandlerSupport to expose before/afterExecute methods?
>
> Tom
>

> > -- Andrei Savu
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 12:59 AM, John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me> wrote:
> >> Well, the reason I want to know is two fold.  First, I'm using the whirr
> >> core API to spin up and provision multiple clusters.  But on one of my
> >> clusters, I'd need to push out a shell script to execute after the
> configure
> >> action happens.  Basically, my code needs to generate a bunch of
> "stuff",
> >> which it then uses to create the shell script dynamically, and I want to
> use
> >> the OtherAction to push that shell script out to the instances in the
> >> cluster to execute.
> >> Second, I just like to know how generic extension points work, because I
> >> like to come up with interesting ways to integrate APIs into what I'm
> >> working on
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> John

> before/after
> event?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> John C

John C

Re: How to use OtherAction?

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to use OtherAction?

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to use OtherAction?

Posted by John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me>.
Well, the reason I want to know is two fold.  First, I'm using the whirr
core API to spin up and provision multiple clusters.  But on one of my
clusters, I'd need to push out a shell script to execute after the configure
action happens.  Basically, my code needs to generate a bunch of "stuff",
which it then uses to create the shell script dynamically, and I want to use
the OtherAction to push that shell script out to the instances in the
cluster to execute.

Second, I just like to know how generic extension points work, because I
like to come up with interesting ways to integrate APIs into what I'm
working on

Thanks,
John

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's you use case? Maybe there is another way.
>
> As far as I know no service is using OtherAction event.
>
> -- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 12:46 AM, John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me> wrote:
> > In looking at the ClusterActionHandlerSupport, I notice the before/after
> > OtherAction event.  Is this functional?  How can I trigger this event?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John C

John C