Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jeff MacDonald <je...@terida.com> on 2015/01/07 21:15:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Proxypass Status - ignore errors.

Hi,

My situation is as follows. My apache server proxies several java apps that live on a JBoss server. Yesterday ONE of the apps went unresponsive for about 3 minutes. The interesting thing was, if I went around the proxy it worked absolutely fine. Which made me suspect Apache.

The logs had some entries like this:

[Tue Jan 06 14:59:27 2015] [error] (110)Connection timed out: proxy: HTTP: attempt to connect to 10.33.33.31:8080 (java3.toronto.mycompany.net) failed
[Tue Jan 06 14:59:27 2015] [error] ap_proxy_connect_backend disabling worker for (java3.toronto.mycompany.net)
[Tue Jan 06 14:59:45 2015] [error] proxy: HTTP: disabled connection for (java3.toronto.mycompany.net)

After some googleing I found a suggestion of putting

status=+I (thats a capital i)

After my ProxyPass directive.

The documentation for this says:  'I' is ignore-errors

What I’m trying to understand is, what sorts of errors does it mean. And what is involved with ignoring the errors. Will it just move on and serve another request versus disabling the worker?

Finally what exactly does it mean when it says “disabling the worker”. Does that mean that all connections to that back end will go not be served until some time period elapses?

Thanks folks!

--
Jeff MacDonald

Re: [users@httpd] Proxypass Status - ignore errors.

Posted by Jeff MacDonald <je...@terida.com>.
AH HA!

It appears after some reading that “retry” might be more appropriate to use. But I’m still open to discussion about “status”

Jeff.

— Jeff MacDonald