Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Christoph Strehl <st...@itc-dortmund.de> on 2003/09/19 14:54:04 UTC

JSP in C2.1.1

After about 5 hours of building cocoon-distributions, testing and
googling I am quite despaired about using JSP in cocoon. Cocoon runs
fine but if it comes to JSPs not even the built-in examples work.

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: ServletException in
JSPReader.generate()

is the exception I get with no further detail what could be wrong.

I have read about this problem in mailing list archives and
unfortunately there wasn't anyone who had a clear answer or solution for
that problem although it has been asked more than once.

Earlier this morning I had C2.0.4 working in Tomcat 4.0.12 but there I
stumbled over a bug that was reported in some mailing lists:
<jsp:include ../> doesn't work properly in a Cocoon-pipeline and again -
no suitable solution on the web, only some people who discovered the
same thing.

Is there anyone out there who had already successfully worked with JSPs
in Cocoon2.1.1?

-Christoph

Re: JSP in C2.1.1

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.
Christoph Strehl wrote:

> Where do I get the patch you wrote for the JSP stuff in C2.1 / C2.0 ? Or is
> it already implemented in the current Cocoon-distributions? If so I wonder
> why I cant get those samples to work with the latest distributions.

It's already in the 2.1 release
(http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/jsp/java/org/apache/cocoon/generation/JspGenerator.java).
Cocoon 2.0 hasn't been released since the commit.

> About <jsp:include /> and <jsp:forward /> : Unfortunately my understanding
> of Cocoon and Tomcat is far too little to give it an attempt to fix it but I
> wonder if the bunch of details given in the thread you mentioned (
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=105967319200003 ) wouldn't be enough for
> someone with the knowledge to fix it within short time? I am just curious
> that Cocoon's implementation of such a sophisticated technology (JSP) is
> pretty weak and almost none cares about it.

The JSP stuff is more or less only for legacy support. I guess the most
programmer either start a project already with Cocoon or make the change
to Cocoon abruptly by replacing the JSP by XSP or some of the other
provided technologies. JSP in combination with Cocoon seems indeed not
to be very common.

Joerg

Re: JSP in C2.1.1

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
From: "Christoph Strehl" <ch...@epost.de>

> Where do I get the patch you wrote for the JSP stuff in C2.1 / C2.0 ? Or
is
> it already implemented in the current Cocoon-distributions? If so I wonder
> why I cant get those samples to work with the latest distributions.
>
> About <jsp:include /> and <jsp:forward /> : Unfortunately my understanding
> of Cocoon and Tomcat is far too little to give it an attempt to fix it but
> wonder if the bunch of details given in the thread you mentioned (
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=105967319200003 ) wouldn't be enough for
> someone with the knowledge to fix it within short time? I am just curious
> that Cocoon's implementation of such a sophisticated technology (JSP) is
> pretty weak and almost none cares about it.

It's true, that Cocoon doesn't care much about JSP as there are a lot of
other ways doing the same work without JSPs. You can use XSP, custom
transformers, the power of sitemap: aggregations, selectores, etc. JSP
support in Cocoon was added only to provide a migration path from legacy
applications and there's no a lot of people using it.

Another advantage of using XSP instead of JSP is that when you use JSP to
generate XML then it generates text which is then parsed to be transformed,
while XSP generates just SAX events and there's no serializition/parsing
overhead in the pipeline.

Regards,
  Konstantin

Re: JSP in C2.1.1