Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/29 14:37:28 UTC

Where should pdetarget go?

Is there a reason to have pdetarget in the distribution folder, we'd not
actually distribute it would we? How about moving pdetarget from the
distribution folder into the tools/eclipse folder?

   ...ant

Re: Where should pdetarget go?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:58 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> A few thoughts:
>>
>>  1) Now we can generate the PDE target definition for each of the
>> distros. It's a configuration for Eclipse target platform. We can simply
>> remove the "pdetarget" distro and use the "all" instead.
>>

> Ok, I've now done that in r739205.
>

>> 2) We might need to separate features (a configuration to group a set of
>> modules) from the distributions (a package for one or more features to
>> be distributed). For example, we could have a top-level "features" folder to
>> contain all the pom projects that define groups for the modules. Then the
>> "distribution" will only contain the assembly of features to be shipped.
>>

> Wonderful. I think that is exactly the type of thing we should do. They are
> quite separate things and decoupling the two will make things much clearer
> and help with the "what are we doing all this for?" debates.
>
>    ...ant

I've created JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-2800 to
track getting this done.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

A few thoughts:

1) Now we can generate the PDE target definition for each of the distros. It's a configuration for Eclipse target platform. We can simply remove the "pdetarget" distro and use the "all" instead.

2) We might need to separate features (a configuration to group a set of modules) from the distributions (a package for one or more features to be distributed). For example, we could have a top-level "features" folder to contain all the pom projects that define groups for the modules. Then the "distribution" will only contain the assembly of features to be shipped.

Thanks,
Raymond