Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> on 2010/01/13 10:01:22 UTC

Error code 98

In the thread:
    http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-closed/2009-08/msg01318.html

Error code 98 is described as the message being fed being to big and the
problem resolved. But it is not.

I have a big message:
    -rw-r--r--  1 imaps users 1,4M 2010-01-11 18:05 1263235863.M361818P11014V0000000000000303I00D10102_0.Asterisk,S=1406379:2,S

When feeding it to spamc with:
    spamc -L spam <toProcess/1263235863.M361818P11014V0000000000000303I00D10102_0.Asterisk,S=1406379:2,S

I get a return code of 98 and this breaks my crontab job. I now solved
this by:
                set +e
                message=$(spamc -L ${typeStr} <${toProcessSpamDir}${i})
                errorCode=${?}
                set -e
                case ${message} in
                    'Message successfully un/learned')
                        let "++learned"
                        ;;
                    'Message was already un/learned')
                        let "++notLearned"
                        ;;
                    *)
                        let "++error"
                        case ${errorCode} in
                            98)
                                echo "${i} was to big to be processed"
                                ;;
                            *)
                                echo "unknown error (${errorCode})"
                                ;;
                        esac
                        ;;
                esac

But I think this should be documented. (With other undocumented errors
if there are.)

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Error code 98

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
yes, good point.  I've updated the POD docs now for 3.3.0.

--j.

--
--j.

Re: Error code 98

Posted by Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl>.
RW <rw...@googlemail.com> writes:

> I wonder why you are learning through spamc at all. IIRC you observered
> that sa-learn was a little slower than in your previous SA version, you
> tried spamc and found it to be slower and more trouble than using
> sa-learn on a directory. sa-learn AFAIK has no limit, so why not go
> back to sa-learn?

With bigger amounts of e-mails spamc is slower as sa-learn, but up to 15
mails spamc is faster then sa-learn. So I made it now so that when there
are less as 15 e-mails in a folder that spamc is used and otherwise
sa-learn. It can save up to 10 seconds pro folder. In my situation not
very important, but I like to do things in the 'correct' way. When
someone is going to use my script on a server where there is a lot to
learn and regularly, then the current script would be a lot better as
the old script.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Error code 98

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:11:49 +0100
Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:

> John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> writes:

> > I'd suggest doing a size test and explicitly telling spamc to use
> > the same size limit.
>
> That is the safest. ;-) Only problem could be maintainability.
> The default value of 500 KB is a good one?

It depends on your circumstances. If you are an ISP you probably want
to keep the load lighter, if you are running SA on a desktop or soho
server then you probably want to increase it so you can learn
messages with attachments, for better accuracy. Personally I use the
default limit for testing and no limit for learning.

Re: Error code 98

Posted by Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl>.

Re: Error code 98

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> writes:
>
>>> In the thread:
>>>    http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-closed/2009-08/msg01318.html
>>>
>>> Error code 98 is described as the message being fed being to big
>>
>> Documentation aside, why are you passing such messages to SA in the
>> first place? I'd recommend adding a size test to your script - why
>> waste the cycles asking spamd to ignore the message because it's too
>> large to scan?
>
> That would be a good optimisation. But I did not know this possibility
> when I wrote the script and was taken by surprise about why my script
> did not work.

Ah. Ok.

> How do I found out what the size limit is? And I still need the check,
> because when the size limit changes (or the wrong one is used) you will
> get the error.

Per "man spamc":

    -s max_size, --max-size=max_size
        Set the maximum message size which will be sent to spamd -- any
        bigger than this threshold and the message will be returned
        unprocessed (default: 500 KB). If spamc gets handed a message
        bigger than this, it won't be passed to spamd.  The maximum
        message size is 256 MB.

        The size is specified in bytes, as a positive integer greater
        than 0.  For example, -s 500000.

I'd suggest doing a size test and explicitly telling spamc to use the same
size limit.

   Our government should bear in mind the fact that the American
   Revolution was touched off by the then-current government
   attempting to confiscate firearms from the people.
  4 days until Benjamin Franklin's 304th Birthday

Re: Error code 98

Posted by Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl>.
John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> writes:

>> In the thread:
>>    http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-closed/2009-08/msg01318.html
>>
>> Error code 98 is described as the message being fed being to big
>
> Documentation aside, why are you passing such messages to SA in the
> first place? I'd recommend adding a size test to your script - why waste
> the cycles asking spamd to ignore the message because it's too large to
> scan?

That would be a good optimisation. But I did not know this possibility
when I wrote the script and was taken by surprise about why my script
did not work. How do I found out what the size limit is? And I still

Re: Error code 98

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> In the thread:
>    http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-closed/2009-08/msg01318.html
>
> Error code 98 is described as the message being fed being to big

Documentation aside, why are you passing such messages to SA in the first
place? I'd recommend adding a size test to your script - why waste the
cycles asking spamd to ignore the message because it's too large to scan?

   Gun Control enables genocide while doing little to reduce crime.
  4 days until Benjamin Franklin's 304th Birthday