Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/20 21:26:08 UTC

Package rename for 5.0.12

As a follow on to the prior discussion ... the upgrade for users from
5.0.11 to 5.0.12 (once 5.0.12 is available) will have one big wrinkle:

Package org.apache.tapestry has been renamed to org.apache.tapestry5.

The rationale behind this is the rename will allow Tapestry 3 or
Tapestry 4 applications to co-exist with a Tapestry 5 application.
Without it, there were a number of naming conflicts.

It's unfortunate that such a large change should occur so late, pretty
much on the eve of a release candidate (5.0.12 may be a second beta,
or may be the release candidate).  This represents a lack of foresight
on my part, and an evolving set of priorities.

If you are on Unix, you can update your code pretty easily:

find . -name \*.java -o -name \*.xml -o -name \*.properties  | xargs
sed -i s/org\\.apache\\.tapestry\\./org.apache.tapestry5./g

This finds all Java, XML and properties files and edits them in place
to replace "org.apache.tapestry." with "org.apache.tapestry5.".

This will be necessary after tonight's nightly build (if you are using
5.0.12-SNAPSHOT) or once 5.0.12 is available (as part of the upgrade
from 5.0.11).

Thanks to everyone for all the great input; it felt that the consensus
was that tapestry5 (rather than tapestry.v5 or other suggestions) was
the best approach.  Tapestry5 really is a new product in the Tapestry
product line, and this naming still feels consistent to me.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Package rename for 5.0.12

Posted by 9902468 <vi...@cerion.fi>.
Ok,

thanks for instructions, was still using tapestry-annotations instead of
tapestry5-annotations. (Too much coffee syndrome. =D)

I understand that this now-or-never situation is tempting, but honestly I
think that Tapestry 5 needs to be pushed out. I understand that the longer
Tapestry 5 lives in this phase the better it will be, so this is quite
double edged sword. However I think that T5 is mature enough to enter rc,
and the rest can be implemented to 5.1. The core is ready, right?

At least big changes should be kept to minimum. So please interface freeze
immediately and hopefully feature too -> rc out and to bug fix only mode,
no?

Very irritating as many clients forbid the use of beta (and alpha and rc:s)
versions and we must still use T4 or struts or something :(

 -99

Re: Package rename for 5.0.12

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fs...@fsadev.com>.
I see. Makes sense. :)

-Filip

Re: Package rename for 5.0.12

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Package rename for 5.0.12

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fs...@fsadev.com>.

Re: Package rename for 5.0.12

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Package rename for 5.0.12

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fs...@fsadev.com>.
Everything's fine.

Re: Package rename for 5.0.12

Posted by 9902468 <vi...@cerion.fi>.
Hi,

Re: Package rename for 5.0.12

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.
Hi guys,

the t5components nightly SNAPSHOT build reflects the package renaming of
howards tap5.
please take care for updating your local maven repository.

2008/5/20 Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>:

> As a follow on to the prior discussion ... the upgrade for users from
> 5.0.11 to 5.0.12 (once 5.0.12 is available) will have one big wrinkle:
>
> Package org.apache.tapestry has been renamed to org.apache.tapestry5.
>
> The rationale behind this is the rename will allow Tapestry 3 or
> Tapestry 4 applications to co-exist with a Tapestry 5 application.
> Without it, there were a number of naming conflicts.
>
> It's unfortunate that such a large change should occur so late, pretty
> much on the eve of a release candidate (5.0.12 may be a second beta,
> or may be the release candidate).  This represents a lack of foresight
> on my part, and an evolving set of priorities.
>
> If you are on Unix, you can update your code pretty easily:
>
> find . -name \*.java -o -name \*.xml -o -name \*.properties  | xargs
> sed -i s/org\\.apache\\.tapestry\\./org.apache.tapestry5./g
>
> This finds all Java, XML and properties files and edits them in place
> to replace "org.apache.tapestry." with "org.apache.tapestry5.".
>
> This will be necessary after tonight's nightly build (if you are using
> 5.0.12-SNAPSHOT) or once 5.0.12 is available (as part of the upgrade
> from 5.0.11).
>
> Thanks to everyone for all the great input; it felt that the consensus
> was that tapestry5 (rather than tapestry.v5 or other suggestions) was
> the best approach.  Tapestry5 really is a new product in the Tapestry
> product line, and this naming still feels consistent to me.
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship

with regards
Sven Homburg