Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Hladky <dh...@oration.net> on 2002/06/04 17:56:06 UTC

Solaris JVM never seems to garbage collect, runs out eventually.

This may be a bit beyond the scope here but, We are running a J2EE
system with Jakarta/Tomcat 3.2.1 and JBOSS 2.2
on Solaris.  It uses the AJP13 connection protocol to connect to an
Apache webserver and is load balanced between two
J2EE servers.  What seems to happen is that after a period of time
running it continually ramps up the amount of memory used and never
seems to return it. We are giving Tomcat 256MB of memory to start out
with and 128MB to JBOSS.  The machine itself has 512MB. After about 3
days or so of heavy use the system will run out of memory and Solaris
will orphan the offending process.  We have very little experience
tuning Solaris JVM's.  I use SGI myself so I am a little preplexed by
this one.  Could someone with experience tuning Solaris JVMs give me and
my friends a hint or two on how to force the JVM to garbage
collect/tune.  Or is this just a memory leak in Tomcat and or JBOSS?

Thanks Dave Hladky