Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Eric Haszlakiewicz <EH...@transunion.com> on 2006/12/26 20:33:49 UTC

help finding docs, creating analyzer objects

I'm been having a hard time finding any kind of reasonable
documentation
on lucene.  It seems that the javadocs are mostly empty, and the stuff
on
the wiki really doesn't explain anything.  Is there a better place to
be looking?

So far, I've managed to get some basic stuff working.  Now I'm trying
figure out where to get a spanish analyzer from.  I found a message
from 2003 where someone tried to contribute one, but it got rejected
because there's something called a snowball analyzer that supposedly
supports spanish, but again, I couldn't find any documentation for how
use it.  The closest I could find was a snippet of code that did this:

        Analyzer analyzer = new SnowballAnalyzer("Spanish");
Is that correct?  How do I know what name to pass to the constructor?

I tried building some code with that, but it seems the jar file (lucene
2.0.0)
is missing all the snowball stuff.  It doesn't seem to be in the source
zip file
either, so I'm not too surprised that it's not in the jar file, but
(perhaps
you detect a trend here) I couldn't find any documentation about where

to get a complete jar file from.  Where can I get this from?

Eric

Re: help finding docs, creating analyzer objects

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

I'm sorry you are not finding what you need.   The snowball analyzers
come in a separate jar, in the release zip, under the contrib/
snowball directory.  You may also want/need the analyzers in contrib/
analyzers for other languages.  The README delivered w/ the release
probably should be updated to state that this is where you find the
additional analyzers.  I will do that shortly (which doesn't help
you, but should help others going forward)

Have you gone through the demo and the "Getting Started" section:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/gettingstarted.html ?

There are a number of articles, presentations and books available,
many of which are listed at http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/
Resources

Additionally, the "Lucene In Action" book is quite good and most of
it still applies to 2.0 (I think the URL is www.lucenebook.com).

Also, please add an issue or two for any specific places you feel are
unclear or are lacking and hopefully they can be addressed.  Patches
are always welcome, especially for documentation and the Wiki only
requires a username password to edit.

-Grant

On Dec 26, 2006, at 2:33 PM, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> I'm been having a hard time finding any kind of reasonable
> documentation
> on lucene.  It seems that the javadocs are mostly empty, and the stuff
> on
> the wiki really doesn't explain anything.  Is there a better place to
> be looking?
>
> So far, I've managed to get some basic stuff working.  Now I'm trying
> figure out where to get a spanish analyzer from.  I found a message
> from 2003 where someone tried to contribute one, but it got rejected
> because there's something called a snowball analyzer that supposedly
> supports spanish, but again, I couldn't find any documentation for how
> use it.  The closest I could find was a snippet of code that did this:
>
>         Analyzer analyzer = new SnowballAnalyzer("Spanish");
> Is that correct?  How do I know what name to pass to the constructor?
>
> I tried building some code with that, but it seems the jar file
> (lucene
> 2.0.0)
> is missing all the snowball stuff.  It doesn't seem to be in the
> source
> zip file
> either, so I'm not too surprised that it's not in the jar file, but
> (perhaps
> you detect a trend here) I couldn't find any documentation about where
>
> to get a complete jar file from.  Where can I get this from?
>
> Eric

Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org