Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeb <je...@penske.com> on 2006/07/06 19:17:37 UTC

Error can't create directory

We are having trouble with projects having long path names in them
Server 1.3.0 on Linux RHES 3

Error Can't Create Directory
Error
'C:really\really\really\long\pathname\about240charslong\.svn\text-base:'
Error The Filename or extension is too long

Client TortoiseSVN (recent) on Win 2000 professional

It looks like when it starts building the .svn folder and the pristine
copy it chokes

Is there a fix for this?

tnx

Jeb

Re: Error can't create directory

Posted by Andreas Magnusson <an...@home.se>.
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeb" <je...@penske.com>
> To: "Subversion List" <us...@subversion.tigris.org>
> Cc: "Garrett Rooney" <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>; "Chauhan, Yogesh
> (Indust, PTL)" <yo...@penske.com>; "Taratuta, Mike (Indust,
> PTL, Innosoft Corporation)" <mi...@penske.com>; "rohit.talwar"
> <ro...@penske.com>
> Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 4:14 PM
> Subject: Re: Error can't create directory
>

>> Garrett,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick response
>>
>> We are about 240 chars plus the .svn\text-base:  puts us about 256
>>
>> we can only steal about 10 characters off the front of the path.  The
>> rest of the package hierarchy is pretty much locked in.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a patch for Win2k to extend the path limit?
>
> Heh. No. WinFS is supposed to have benefits to features like this, but
> they've backpedaled from including WinFS in the next operating system
> release.

WinFS is not necessary. From the MSDN library on CreateFile:
"In the ANSI version of this function, the name is limited to MAX_PATH
characters. To extend this limit to 32,767 wide characters, call the
Unicode version of the function and prepend "\\?\" to the path. (Works
on W2K and up)."
However, I suspect that this should be implemented in APR, and not
Subversion. (Perhaps it already is?)

/Andreas

Re: Error can't create directory

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

Garrett RooneyRE: Error can't create directory

Posted by "L. Wayne Johnson" <wa...@zk.com>.

>> Does anyone know of a patch for Win2k to extend the path limit?

I don't know of any way to work around this. I do know that when you reach
this path limit it is difficult to predict what will and will not work. I
have run into this problem before where developers have buried source trees
in some personal directory structure. Then they want to know why their
command line tools stop working in seemingly unpredictable ways. It's not
just subversion that is going to have problems; even some OS commands can
fail if run from the command line too deep in the tree...

Re: Error can't create directory

Posted by Jeb <je...@penske.com>.
Garrett,

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.