Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es> on 2002/05/01 00:04:06 UTC

RE: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!

Which are the relation between maven , gump and forrest?

They are alternative solutions, complimentary, or what?

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega

Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> writes:

> "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <ni...@apache.org> writes:
>
>> That is the /real/ latest version of Centipede.
>> I hope to make a beta of the new Centipede *with* new docs by the weekend.
>
> Hope so.  Current docs are lacking:

(with the right url this time)

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-centipede/src/documentation/xdocs/

Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

https://adapter-anzu.extranet.collab.net/source/browse/adapter-anzu/cron/5mins/check_anzu.in?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!

Posted by Michael McCallum <mi...@snaphire.com>.

Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Are you volunteering?  So far all I've seen in this direction was FUD
tactics by Maven.

-Andy

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 19:47, Michael McCallum wrote:

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound
Document
                            format to java
			- fix java generics!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: jakarta subproject scope (was Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 30 Apr 2002, John McNally <jm...@collab.net> wrote:

> Well I would not be bothered if tomcat had developed a build system
> that it packaged as an independent entity with the idea that it
> might be more generally useful.

It once had, it was called Ant. 8-)

Stefan

Re: jakarta subproject scope (was Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
John McNally wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 20:38, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>>On 4/30/02 11:31 PM, "John McNally" <jm...@collab.net> wrote:
>>

>>>I do not know where to locate Turbine's original charter and I think it
>>>is a good idea to try to follow it.  Are these published somewhere or
>>>should Turbine maintain it in its own documentation?  However the scope
>>>of a subproject is likely to grow/evolve over time.  Velocity does
>>>provide at least one servlet that allows it to be used to develop a
>>>webapp independent of any other framework.
>>
>>I think that's stretching 'webapp'  I guess tomcat does the same thing as it
>>supplies servlets...  :)
>

> Well I would not be bothered if tomcat had developed a build system that
> it packaged as an independent entity with the idea that it might be more
> generally useful. Tomcat is a large project and they certainly could
> have had the itch. And if they promoted it occasionally what's the big
> deal.

Where do you think we got ANT from?  That started with Tomcat as a
subproject and then became its own project.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: jakarta subproject scope (was Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 5/1/02 11:41 AM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 May 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >>
>> On 5/1/02 12:28 AM, "John McNally" <jm...@collab.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Well I would not be bothered if tomcat had developed a build system that
>>> it packaged as an independent entity with the idea that it might be more
>>> generally useful. Tomcat is a large project and they certainly could
>>> have had the itch. And if they promoted it occasionally what's the big
>>> deal.
>>
>> <joke>
>> If you have ever built tomcat from source, you might wish they had a build
>> system...
>> </joke>
>>
>> That used to be true - I don't know if it is anymore.
>
> Actually, Tomcat *does* include a nice little build system for web apps --
> in the Application Developer's Guide.  Among other things, it sets up your
> compile class path to include everything Tomcat has in its shared
> repositories (common/lib and so on) for you.  In the HEAD branch, and in
> the 4.1.0 test release, it even includes custom Ant tasks that interact
> with the Manager webapp to install, reload, and uninstall apps
> dynamically.
>
> The difference is that we don't badger people into using it -- their
> choice.  :-)

No, I meant for tomcat proper.  A while ago, it was a bear to build entirely
from source...

I did it once, proved I could do it, and then happily fetched the binaries
since :)

>>> Okay, I guess I could argue that developing a taglib (or something more
>>> elaborate) is outside the scope of a project around a template engine.
>>
>> We have one of those too. :)  Lets you do wacky things like
>>
>> <jsp:useBean id="mybean"  class="GeirBean" />

>>     <vel:velocity strictaccess="true">
>>
>>          #set($mybean = $scopetool.getPageScope("mybean"))
>>
>>          #if(true)
>>             this is true!
>>          #end

>>          $mybean.string

>>         #foreach($item in $mybean.array)
>>             $item <br>
>>         #end
>>
>>     </vel:velocity>
>>

> Hey Geir, I though there weren't any scriptlets in Velocity?   :-)

:)

That's a JSP page.  And maybe the right term is "Velocilets" or something.

System and Software Consulting
The obvious solutions are challenging

Re: jakarta subproject scope (was Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

> [...]

>          #if(true)
>             this is true!
>          #end

>          $mybean.string

>         #foreach($item in $mybean.array)
>             $item <br>
>         #end
>
>     </vel:velocity>

Hey Geir, I though there weren't any scriptlets in Velocity?   :-)

> > Except that I am arguing against such strict definition of scope.  And
> > from what I saw I thought it was pretty cool.
>
> But I understand the point.  What we are hoping to do is to make
> tools/support so you can use Velocity templates as a view layer in Struts,
> so you have a choice about the view layer, like you do in Turbine.  :)  For
> us, it's all about making it easier to use Velocity as it isn't An Official
> Standard.
>
> This concludes the Velocity/Turbine/Struts plug-fest. :)

Craig

Re: jakarta subproject scope (was Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 20:38, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On 4/30/02 11:31 PM, "John McNally" <jm...@collab.net> wrote:
>
> > I do not know where to locate Turbine's original charter and I think it
> > is a good idea to try to follow it.  Are these published somewhere or
> > should Turbine maintain it in its own documentation?  However the scope
> > of a subproject is likely to grow/evolve over time.  Velocity does
> > provide at least one servlet that allows it to be used to develop a
> > webapp independent of any other framework.
>
> I think that's stretching 'webapp'  I guess tomcat does the same thing as it
> supplies servlets...  :)

Well I would not be bothered if tomcat had developed a build system that
it packaged as an independent entity with the idea that it might be more
generally useful. Tomcat is a large project and they certainly could
have had the itch. And if they promoted it occasionally what's the big
deal.

> > Struts is adding support for
> > Velocity even though one of its primary reasons for being proposed with
> > Turbine already existing was to limit the view to jsp exclusively.
>
> I think you are mistaken - we are building a toolkit to use Velocity as the
> view layer in Struts....  Struts isn't adding any support AFAIK.

Okay, I guess I could argue that developing a taglib (or something more
elaborate) is outside the scope of a project around a template engine.
Except that I am arguing against such strict definition of scope.  And
from what I saw I thought it was pretty cool.

john mcnally

Re: jakarta subproject scope (was Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
"Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> writes:

> On 5/1/02 12:21 PM, "Daniel Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> wrote:
>
>> "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> writes:
>>
>>> I think that's stretching 'webapp'  I guess tomcat does the same thing as it
>>> supplies servlets...  :)
>>
>> Not at all.  Would you not consider Eyebrowse a web app?  It's built
>> entirely upon a VelocityServlet extension.  :)
>

> Yes, that was a 'thinko' on my part.  I meant 'framework' - I was trying to
> say that Velocity has no intention of becoming a webapp framework...

Yes, definitely.

Re: jakarta subproject scope (was Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 5/1/02 12:21 PM, "Daniel Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> wrote:

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> writes:
>
>> On 4/30/02 11:31 PM, "John McNally" <jm...@collab.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I do not know where to locate Turbine's original charter and I think it
>>> is a good idea to try to follow it.  Are these published somewhere or
>>> should Turbine maintain it in its own documentation?  However the scope
>>> of a subproject is likely to grow/evolve over time.  Velocity does
>>> provide at least one servlet that allows it to be used to develop a
>>> webapp independent of any other framework.
>>
>> I think that's stretching 'webapp'  I guess tomcat does the same thing as it
>> supplies servlets...  :)
>
> Not at all.  Would you not consider Eyebrowse a web app?  It's built
> entirely upon a VelocityServlet extension.  :)

Yes, that was a 'thinko' on my part.  I meant 'framework' - I was trying to
say that Velocity has no intention of becoming a webapp framework...

System and Software Consulting

Maven & Gump are friends

Re: jakarta subproject scope (was Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 4/30/02 11:31 PM, "John McNally" <jm...@collab.net> wrote:

> I do not know where to locate Turbine's original charter and I think it
> is a good idea to try to follow it.  Are these published somewhere or
> should Turbine maintain it in its own documentation?  However the scope
> of a subproject is likely to grow/evolve over time.  Velocity does
> provide at least one servlet that allows it to be used to develop a
> webapp independent of any other framework.

I think that's stretching 'webapp'  I guess tomcat does the same thing as it
supplies servlets...  :)

> Struts is adding support for
> Velocity even though one of its primary reasons for being proposed with
> Turbine already existing was to limit the view to jsp exclusively.

I think you are mistaken - we are building a toolkit to use Velocity as the
view layer in Struts....  Struts isn't adding any support AFAIK.

> I'm
> sure some example of feature creep will be found in many subprojects.

And scope creep.  Certainly happened to Jakarta.  And I think that's
healthy...

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 19:09, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> In truth I think thats a good idea.  So since Maven is under Turbine and
> really is a bit out of scope, how about moving it over to Krysalis and
> combine it.

How is a build system out of scope of Turbine.  Isn't it up to a
subproject to decide what is out of scope?  Turbine is a webapp
framework and webapps require build systems.  It also contains several
subsubprojects (ssprojects) that offer some variation so it is a good
candidate for developing a general build system.

It may not be the best way to market the code for more general use, but
if and when the ssproject generates some interest outside Turbine it can
be proposed as a true subproject or moved to the commons depending on
size/scope.

I do not see why other projects cannot use something just because it
lives in Turbine.  Turbine has had a history of using other projects.

I do not know where to locate Turbine's original charter and I think it
is a good idea to try to follow it.  Are these published somewhere or
should Turbine maintain it in its own documentation?  However the scope
of a subproject is likely to grow/evolve over time.  Velocity does
provide at least one servlet that allows it to be used to develop a
webapp independent of any other framework.  Struts is adding support for
Velocity even though one of its primary reasons for being proposed with
Turbine already existing was to limit the view to jsp exclusively.  I'm
sure some example of feature creep will be found in many subprojects.

John McNally

Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
In truth I think thats a good idea.  So since Maven is under Turbine and
really is a bit out of scope, how about moving it over to Krysalis and
combine it.  I'd love to see a combined effort.  Centipede's featureset
and modularity + maven's documentation and better names for things!  Wow
that would be awesome.

Alas.... read my tagline....  "The avalanche has already started. It is
too late for the pebbles to vote."

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.

Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es>

> Which are the relation between maven , gump and forrest?
>
> They are alternative solutions, complimentary, or what?

Here is a mail I sent to CJAN guys on the subject:

From: "Peter Donald" <pe...@apache.org>
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:40, Michael Davey wrote:
> > In summary, I think that Myrmidon is a great start, but CJAN will need
> > features from Myrmidon, Maven *and* Gump, which means a
> > single manifest or packing
> > slip or packgage descriptor or whatever you wish to call it, that
> > provides all this information in one place.  My gut tells me that xml is
> > the way to go, but I don't think it *really* matters if we simply extend
> > the manifest.txt format.
>
> Myrmidon doesn't really have anything to do with this - it does not define
> libraries or anything like that. It just reuses the existing
infrastructure
> already defined by Sun ;)
>
> Maven and gump should be looked at. However I would also suggested that
> you look at forrest when it gets some documentation together. I believe it
is
> more inline with what you are going as it also defines a descriptor that
> externally links to things like; changelog, authors, release notes,
website
> and other stuff I am sure.
>
> I have cc'ed one of the forrest developers and hopefully he will be able
> shed some light on it.

Ok, this is the current state:

Forrest is a project that will design, build and manage the new
xml.apache.org site, making it much better than sourceforge.

Gump is a project that simply builds, builds, builds projects with the
latest versions one of each other, to get possible inter-project problems
ASAP.

Together, they make "Forrest Gump", the Apache dynamic duo for project
maintainance.

What is lacking from this picture is something that helps the builds of the
projects themselves, so I used Ant, Gump descriptors and Forrest site
creation to make Krysalis Centipede, which is a build system based on Ant.

I proposed to put it in Forrest, but we agreed that it's better to keep them
separated and work in synergy, as Avalon does with Cocoon.
As soon as a bigger community forms, I'll be more than happy to propose the
project to Jakarta.

Now, Centipede uses the Gump descriptor and enhances it, maintaining
compatibility, adding tags that are needed for the build.
It also adds other pages that define the project dir layout, properties,
status and build.

I'm a Forrest developer too, so the DTDs will be synched.
I'm on the Gump list, and Sam Ruby is very open to make the Gump descriptor
more detailed if needed.

Currently, the Centipede site is very old, since development has been going
on the Jakarta POI project that uses Centipede.

That is the /real/ latest version of Centipede.
I hope to make a beta of the new Centipede *with* new docs by the weekend.

Here is the POI's viewCVS:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-poi/

The descriptors are:

index.html: main entry point
build.xml: ant build file
layout.xml: dir layout definition
module.xml: gump augmented project descriptor
properties.xml: properties given to Ant
status.xml: devs, todo, changes

If you view them in IE6 or Mozilla you will see html, but they are XML with
a stylesheet, so look at the source.

Here is a main entry point after a local build:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/jakarta-poi/index.html?rev=1.7&cont
ent-type=text/plain

None of these descriptors is set in stone; I'll be very happy to have
feedback and to change as necessary.

> BTW you should probably understand that many of the packaging issues were
> raised a 17 months ago across a number of apache mailin lists. I believe a
> cjan project was started back then and a few others aswell (including jjar
> believe). So you will probably get quite a bit of "opinions" on how things
> should be done but as yet no one has managed to achieve any sort of
consensus.

> > Lets try to get the four communities to work together to come to a
> > consensus.
>
> Definetly. However I suspect you will hit some road blocks with the egos
and
> stuff.

This has already been tried on the Gump list, but AFAIK has partially
failed.

Gump, Forrest and Centipede agree that a common format is auspicable, and
will definately use the same formats.

(BTW, I have included the suggestions I got from the gump list in the new
format)

Maven is going its own way. It generates the Gump descriptor from it's own.
Multiple attempts to cooperate seem to have failed:

            - verba volant, scripta manent -