Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by phillip rhodes <rh...@telerama.com> on 2002/10/09 04:05:56 UTC

escaping problem help sought.

I am trying to output some valid velocity code that a user can cut and paste into a velocity template.  However, there is a mixture of both vtl and variables, some of which I want to be interpolated, and some not.  I got things to work by splitting the line I want to output into 2 lines.  But if I try everything on the same line, my variable interpolations do not happen.

While I can hobble along, I feel bothered by not understanding what I am doing wrong.  According to the docs on escaping, what I am doing on one line should work.  Can anything point out a limitation of velocity or how I can achieve this in velocity?

This is what I want to output...  (I do have this output if I break it up using two lines.
#jcontrol($jpage.getQuestionByName( "Which colorectal test used").getQuestionItemByName("Colonoscopy")

$questionname and $questionItem are two in scope variables that I want interpolated.
#jcontrol is a macro that I do not want to invoke, but needs to be output.
This is working:  (it's on two lines)

\#jcontrol($jpage.getQuestionByName(
"${questionname}").getQuestionItemByName("${questionItem.getName()}")

This is not working:
\#jcontrol($jpage.getQuestionByName("${questionname}").getQuestionItemByName("${questionItem.getName()}")

Thanks!!