Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by lorenlai <lo...@yahoo.com> on 2011/10/17 17:15:06 UTC

feeding while solr is running ?

Hello Solr experts,

I'm newbie regarding Solr.

1) I would like to know if it is possible to import data (feeding) while
Solr is still running ?
Is it possible or Solr should be "shut down", I then can start my feeding
process ?

Any LINKS regarding to this topic? :-)

2) How can I import my data as into the index ? Via HTTP ? And is it
possible to "automate" this feeding process ?

Any LINKS regarding to this topic? :-)

3) Is it possible to write a "Batch-Loader" (Batch Jobs) which import the
data into the index ?

Any LINKS regarding to this topic? :-)

Thank you very much in advance. ;-)

with best regards

Loren

Re: feeding while solr is running ?

Posted by lorenlai <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Alireza,

thank you for your reply. I will read the solr tutorial ;-)

Cheers

Posted by Alireza Salimi <al...@gmail.com>.
Well,

I'm not a Solr expert, but the first thing that you should
start reading is the Solr tutorial and then Solr wiki.
It won't take long to read both of them.

Regarding your questions:
1) It's possible
2 and 3) There are different ways to update (HTTP or Java). You can create a
CRON job to send the HTTP Command.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM, lorenlai <lo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello Solr experts,
>
> I'm newbie regarding Solr.
>
> 1) I would like to know if it is possible to import data (feeding) while
> Solr is still running ?
> Is it possible or Solr should be "shut down", I then can start my feeding
> process ?
>
> Any LINKS regarding to this topic? :-)
>
> 2) How can I import my data as into the index ? Via HTTP ? And is it
> possible to "automate" this feeding process ?
>
> Any LINKS regarding to this topic? :-)
>
> 3) Is it possible to write a "Batch-Loader" (Batch Jobs) which import the
> data into the index ?
>
> Any LINKS regarding to this topic? :-)
>
> Thank you very much in advance. ;-)
>
> with best regards
>
> Loren

Alireza Salimi
Java EE Developer

Re: feeding while solr is running ?

Posted by lorenlai <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Robert,

also many thanks to you for the LINKS and the short explanation. ;-)

*hug* & cheers

Posted by Robert Stewart <bs...@gmail.com>.
See below...

On Oct 17, 2011, at 11:15 AM, lorenlai wrote:

> 1) I would like to know if it is possible to import data (feeding) while
> Solr is still running ?

Yes.  You can search and index new content at the same time.  But typically in production systems you may have one or more "master" SOLR instances accepting new documents, and then setup SOLR replication and multiple "slave" instances behind a load balancer in order to handle search requests.

> 2) How can I import my data as into the index ? Via HTTP ? And is it
> possible to "automate" this feeding process ?

You can post new documents via HTTP POST (as single documents, or as a batch of documents).
You can also use a data import handler (DIH) to pull data from some repository such as a SQL database, and then initiate such imports via HTTP request called by a cron job, etc.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UpdateXmlMessages
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler

> 3) Is it possible to write a "Batch-Loader" (Batch Jobs) which import the
> data into the index ?

Yes.  You can use any of the available SOLR clients from some program or script (solrj for java, various python clients, etc.).  Or you could write some java code that embeds SOLR (or even Lucene) directly to build indexes.  There are many possibilities in that case.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/IntegratingSolr