Posted to users@maven.apache.org by kvenkatraman <ku...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/04 10:35:27 UTC

dependency and dependencymanagement - confusion

I have project A and B. B is the child of A. So B Inherits properties and
dependencies of A.
If I have x version of dependency in A , same will be available for B also.

Then why do we need <dependencyManagement> , because by changing the version
of dependency in A will automatically availabe in B.

When dependency of A is avaliable in B due to inheritance , then why are we
required to call the parent dependency with <group-id>:<artifactid> for
managed dependency

I have searched a lot to question and i am still confused.

thanks in advance
kumar

RE: dependency and dependencymanagement - confusion

Posted by kvenkatraman <ku...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Matt . Now I am clear about dependencyManagement

Thanks

Posted by Matthew Tordoff <ma...@markit.com>.
If you have additional dependencies in project B that aren't in A, and
those dependencies have an additional dependencies which are the same as
those in project A, but of a different version. Then you require
dependency management.

The best way to look at it is to see a tree of dependencies, each with
their own subdependencies. If at any point in that tree you have two
dependencies on the same component, however, with different versions,
you need to specify which version to use in preference.

Matt

I have project A and B. B is the child of A. So B Inherits properties
and dependencies of A.
If I have x version of dependency in A , same will be available for B
also.

Then why do we need <dependencyManagement> , because by changing the
version of dependency in A will automatically availabe in B.

When dependency of A is avaliable in B due to inheritance , then why are
we required to call the parent dependency with <group-id>:<artifactid>
for managed dependency

I have searched a lot to question and i am still confused.

thanks in advance
kumar

The content of this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient and may not be disclosed, copied or distributed. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail or by telephoning +44 20 7260 2000, delete it and do not disclose its contents to any person. You should take full responsibility for checking this email for viruses. Markit reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its network.
Markit and its affiliated companies make no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this message and hereby exclude any liability of any kind for the information contained herein. Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Markit.
For full details about Markit, its offerings and legal terms and conditions, please see Markit's website at http://www.markit.com <http://www.markit.com/> .