Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Duncan Hill <sa...@nacnud.force9.co.uk> on 2005/07/19 20:44:42 UTC

Re: [ot] OS comments (was Early Questions)

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 18:50, Jay Lee wrote:
> Mark Williams wrote:
> >Server: Linux (RH9.0), with spamassassin installed from
> >spamassassin.org web site using "make" etc.... (not RPM's). This
> >machine then runs both IMAP and POP3 for clients. MTA is sendmail
>
> Surely your not going live with a distribution as old and unsupported as
> RedHat 9!  Do you want to become a spam zombie?  I urge you strongly to

While I understand the sentiment, the wording is pure scare-mongering imo.  I
know of several deployments of RH9 that are quite secure (due to only running
2 externally reachable ports and up-to-date software) and have never become
'spam zombies'.  The speed at which I've seen a Windows box get zombied, on
the other hand, is mind-numbing :>

Considering there are much more up to date releases of the RedHat line and
other OSs it would be a much better idea to use one of those.  When the RH9
box has been deployed for 2 years and keeps on trucking, there's no real
point to take down a 24/7 service to deal with an upgrade to a new version.