Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2020/05/27 14:28:12 UTC

Re: [OT] HELP wanted: Configure 2 domains, 2 SSL and 2 keyfiles on 1 VPS

All,

On 5/27/20 08:18, Ian Brown wrote:
> I would suggest adding type="RSA" to your certificate elements.
> (As shown in Christopher's example & matching your set up). It
> defaults to UNDEFINED. Further, the Tomcat documentation talks
> about one certificate working, and two not working if TYPE is not
> defined.
Hmm, now this has me thinking. If you have a single keystore and want
to advertise both RSA and ECDSA-based server certificates, you'd have
to do:

<SSLHostConfig>
  <Certificate type="RSA" certificateKeystoreFile="keystore.jks"
certificateKeyAlias="www.example.com.RSA" />
  <Certificate type="EC" certificateKeystoreFile="keystore.jks"
certificateKeyAlias="www.example.com.ECDSA" />
</SSLHostConfig>

If you had more config items like passwords, providers, etc. it would
become even more verbose.

If I were configuring something like this myself, I might like to say
(in English) "this keystore contains everything I need for
www.example.com; load everything and do the right thing". Something
like this:

<SSLHostConfig hostName="example.com">
  <Certificates keystore="keystore.jks" />
</SSLHostConfig>

This can work for PEM files, too, and it's how httpd does things: you
just point SSLCertificateFile at a PEM file and it loads everything.
The only (practical) difference between a keystore and a
multi-certificate/key PEM file is that there are no "aliases" in a PEM
file.

Each key knows its own type; there is no need to require the user to
declare the encryption type. We could even use the "hostName" from the
<SSLHostConfig> element to ignore any certificates whose CN/SANs
doesn't/don't match the hostName so we don't get confused if there are
unrelated certificates in the keystore.

I think there is scope to improve things, here.

- -chris