Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jason Foster <ja...@uwaterloo.ca> on 2002/02/08 16:50:14 UTC

"Second Generation Web Services"

This article appeared on XML.com today and seems to relate to some of the
discussions on this list with respect to URIs, CM, and GET/POST/DELETE.

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/02/06/rest.html

In a previous email reply to Stefano's last RT I mentioned the W3 TAG.
While I respect that they are looking at "big picture" issues, one of the
ones that seems to come up a lot in their discussions is the management of
URI-space.  This article on XML.com also focuses on these issues.

Given that Cocoon, at the moment and IMHO, is heavily focused on, and has
some really neat approaches, to URI-space management (eg. the Sitemap) I
think that we either (a) have a lot to contribute and (b) can become a
leading example for, these URI-based activities.

What feels to me to be needed is a book/RT/FAQ/Pattern on the design of
URI-spaces.  The filesystem metaphor is still really strong but seems to
be breaking down and there has yet (I think) to be any coherent though
placed into replacing it.

Jason Foster