Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Ziv Ben-Eliahu <zi...@wirexn.com> on 2006/12/27 10:58:37 UTC

Re: transform() fails for DOMSource but succeeds for StreamSource

Hi There.
I have a similar problem - fails for DOMSource but succeeds for
StreamSource - but failure is not an error, it is a different output.

I have the following XML:
<apple xmlns="http://purl.oclc.org/NET/JSX/0.3/Apple">
     <shop type="happy-days">
         <owner name="Jhon" type="big"/>
     </shop>
     <order name="GooGoo" type="org.goo" />
</apple>

I have two parsers - an identity-transformer and a xsl-transformer :
         Transformer tfCopy = javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory
                               .newInstance().newTransformer();
         Transformer tf = javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory
                         .newInstance()newTransformer(
                            new StreamSource(new File("Apple.xsl")));

I have three source type - by stream, builder-parsed, builder-created:
Document parsedDoc = builder.parse(new File("apple.xml"));
DOMSource parsedSource = new DOMSource(parsedDoc);
StreamSource streamSource = new StreamSource(new File("apple.xml"));
DOMSource builtSource = new DOMSource(build());  // build() is a manual
build of the parsed document

When I use the identity-transformer the results are the same:
         tfCopy.transform(streamSource, new StreamResult(new
File("d:/streamed.xml")));
         tfCopy.transform(builtSource, new StreamResult(new
File("d:/built.xml")));
         tfCopy.transform(parsedSource, new StreamResult(new
File("d:/parsed.xml")));

When I use the XSL-based-transformer, results are completely different.
         tf.transform(builtSource, new StreamResult(new
File("d:/built.html")));
         tf.transform(parsedSource, new StreamResult(new
File("d:/parsed.html")));
         tf.transform(streamSource, new StreamResult(new
File("d:/streamed.html")));

I won't include them since they are long, but to sum up:
The stream-source gave the expected results.
The parsed-dom-source (from the same file as the stream-source) gave bad
results - its like the Document was not recognized.
The manually-built-dom-source gave the expected results.

Question: how come identity-transformer worked fine with the parsed DOM
and a xsl-transformer did not?

My current solution is:
Use the identity-transformer to copy from the parsed-dom to a
result-dom. Then take the node from the result-dom. The XSL-transformer
works fine with that node.

Thank you for your help,
Ziv.

Posted by Stanimir Stamenkov <st...@myrealbox.com>.
/Ziv Ben-Eliahu/:

> Document parsedDoc = builder.parse(new File("apple.xml"));
>
> The stream-source gave the expected results.
> The parsed-dom-source (from the same file as the stream-source) gave bad
> results - its like the Document was not recognized.
> The manually-built-dom-source gave the expected results.

Is your |builder| configured to produce a namespace aware DOM?  Is
your "manually-built-dom" namespace aware?  If both DOM instances
have different namespace awareness - this could be the reason,
although I can't think of anything specific at the moment.

--
Stanimir

Re: transform() fails for DOMSource but succeeds for StreamSource

Posted by Mike Brown <mi...@skew.org>.
I'm guessing but I think the answer is the same as before - if you fail to set
a system ID that is a full URI, results will be unpredictable.

In your examples, you start using your DOMSource and your StreamSource
objects without having set their system IDs.  I suggest creating the File
objects separately so that you can use their .getAbsoluteFile().toURI()
methods to obtain a proper URI that you can use as the system ID in your
Source objects. Then set that ID in those objects either in the constructor or
via a separate call to their .setSystemID() method.

Let us know if it works.