Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Stephan Seitz <s....@heinlein-support.de> on 2018/04/12 08:23:53 UTC

SSL offloading for Virtual Routers / Loadbalancer

Hi!

We've got some projects where it would be very reasonable to have SSL offloading for https available at the loadbalancing component in the VR.

Since loadbalancing is done via haproxy, that wouldn't be impossible to configure (at least for the haproxy.conf).

I wonder if there's some documentation for the management <-> VR communication. IMHO we need to add
- upload/update of ssl certs from the management node to the respective VR
- configuring/updating SSL as additional LB method (besides the tcp-oproxy, tcp and udp methods)
- some VR's feedback or canary code to inform the management node about the LB capabilities(?)

It would be really nice if someone could share some information. How would you start that?

Thanks!

- Stephan

Re: SSL offloading for Virtual Routers / Loadbalancer

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@heinlein-support.de>.
Hi Wei!

It would be very kind if you could provide some commits.

If it's ok for you, I'ld start a clone on github and try to port
your changes into 4.11 branch (if i find time also into master)

Thanks in advance!

cheers,

- Stephan

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Stephan Seitz

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stephan,

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@heinlein-support.de>.
Thank's for your feedback Wei!

I'll dscuss the configuration via tags/values with some collegues, but I think that's a very practical way of configuring some LB specialities.

AFAIK there'll be some changes necessary to the codebase. Have you've done that changes internally or do I live in an ideal world and it's available maybe as pullrequest on github?
In short, may we use that work? :)

cheers,

- Stephan

Am Donnerstag, den 12.04.2018, 10:59 +0200 schrieb Wei ZHOU:
> Hi Stephan,
>
> We (Leaseweb in Netherlands) had some work on it. It is implemented by
> network tags and lb tags.
> Here is our KB:
> https://kb.leaseweb.com/display/KB/Network%3A+CloudStack#Network:CloudStack-ConfiguringloadbalancerforanIPAddressofanIsolatedNetwork
>
> -Wei

> > Hi!
> >
> > We've got some projects where it would be very reasonable to have SSL
> > offloading for https available at the loadbalancing component in the VR.
> >
> > Since loadbalancing is done via haproxy, that wouldn't be impossible to
> > configure (at least for the haproxy.conf).
> >
> > I wonder if there's some documentation for the management <-> VR
> > communication. IMHO we need to add
> > - upload/update of ssl certs from the management node to the respective VR
> > - configuring/updating SSL as additional LB method (besides the
> > tcp-oproxy, tcp and udp methods)
> > - some VR's feedback or canary code to inform the management node about
> > the LB capabilities(?)
> >
> > It would be really nice if someone could share some information. How would
> > you start that?
> >

> > Thanks!
> >
> > - Stephan

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,