Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mikis <ms...@dk.ibm.com> on 2007/03/09 14:17:32 UTC

Preventing transitive snapshot downloading

I have being struggling with problems regarding dependencies on apparently
released artifacts (not snapshots), which contain snapshot or faulty
dependencies (maybe transitive). If the artifacts also define their own
remote repositories, I'm unable to fix the problem by patching the intranet
or proxy repository, as this are circumvented .

Is it possible to prevent Maven from downloading artifacts from Internet
repositories using the intranet/proxy repository as the only remote
repository? One way of doing this would be to define some kind of repository
whitelist defining the intranet repositories allowed. The offline line
option is not quite what I need as this would prevent usage of the intranet
repositories.

I fell I'm currently unable to guarantee my intranet Maven users that a
fully version controlled dependency definition in the poms will ensure a
fixed dependency tree (broken configuration management :-( ).

Re: Preventing transitive snapshot downloading

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
This has been added to JIRA (already fixed by Brett, thanks) and the
Mirror mini-guide has been updated:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-mirror-settings.html

Wayne

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: [m2] Preventing transitive snapshot downloading

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
A good point. Perhaps this * functionality needs some rework in 2.0.6? ;-)

Wayne

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <t....@gmail.com>.
This puzzles me too.... :)

Posted by Mikis <ms...@dk.ibm.com>.
You can do this by configuring your proxy to retrieve artifacts from all your
repositories, both release, snapshot and others. You would still deploy to
the individual repos, but the proxy would act as 'single point of
retrieval'.

The problem then remains of how to achieve the occasional need to access
non-proxied repositories. For local usage of other repositories you can just
disable the wildcard mirrorOf.

When needing this functionality for general intranet usage, you could
manually download and install the required artifacts (this could be a
repository dedicated for this purpose). This would ensure the proxies
repository 'whitelist' wasen't hacked to allow for the occasional artifact
experiments.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikis <ms...@dk.ibm.com>.

Posted by Gr...@Countrywide.Com.