Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net> on 2020/05/31 00:41:46 UTC

Trying to re-generate the Documentation effort

I should probably have my head examined but I am thinking of one more
time trying to revive the documentation effort for AOO. One of the
drawbacks is that most people that have started to help have left as
there has been very limited availability of mentoring. I do not see this
changing but I am hoping that by defining a new process we can reduce
the dependency on mentoring.

One idea for this would require that the MediaWiki extension be made
functional again. This would allow for using Writer to create the source
which could be stored in the git repository and then be transferred to
the mwiki for easy online access. By storing the source in the
repository it would give us better revision control over the
documentation. Plus it may help relieve the mentoring problem as many
more people are familiar with using Writer.

Another would be to use Docbook, though this is not as appealing as I
have no familiarity with it and it appears that there is a steep
learning curve to its use and that would be a disadvantage to attracting
new people.

I look forward to any other suggestions that could move this effort
along as it has languished for far to long.

Regards
Keith

Re: Trying to re-generate the Documentation effort

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 5/30/2020 8:46 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Keith,
>
> I pledge to support you however I can.
>
> I’ve been thinking about www.openoffice.org
>
> What do you think about using markdown?
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone

I appreciate the pledge of support Dave. I am leery of using markdown
for the same reasons I expressed about Docbook; IE. the learning curve.
I lean towards using AOO Writer as most people that volunteer are
familiar with Writer and there are more people that can mentor people in
the use of it. Another is is the use of templates to create a uniform
look and feel, plus it reinforces the the brand image of AOO by using
our own product to create professional looking documents.

A potential use for markdown would be as another method of distributing
the documentation by use of a converter to generate the markdown files
for adding them to the Website but as we already have much of the
documentation on the wiki this would need to be discussed further.

Regards
Keith

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 31.05.20 um 02:46 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> I’ve been thinking about www.openoffice.org
>
> What do you think about using markdown?

we are using on some webpages quite intensive Javascript. Is markdown
able to handle this?

In general, I don't see the need to use markdown more widely in the
website. At least I don't know how this could improve the documentation
area.

Marcus

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Keith,

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 5/31/2020 7:38 AM, Carl Marcum wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> On 5/30/20 8:41 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> I should probably have my head examined but I am thinking of one more
>> time trying to revive the documentation effort for AOO. One of the
>> drawbacks is that most people that have started to help have left as
>> there has been very limited availability of mentoring. I do not see this
>> changing but I am hoping that by defining a new process we can reduce
>> the dependency on mentoring.
>>
>> One idea for this would require that the MediaWiki extension be made
>> functional again. This would allow for using Writer to create the source
>> which could be stored in the git repository and then be transferred to
>> the mwiki for easy online access. By storing the source in the
>> repository it would give us better revision control over the
>> documentation. Plus it may help relieve the mentoring problem as many
>> more people are familiar with using Writer.
>
> Is this extension a different one that the IDL tag extension that is
> causing the
> problem with the dev guides?

H1 Carl

Yes it is a different one. The Media Wiki extension was used to convert
an ODT document to mwiki format and move it to the mwiki.

Regards
Keith
<snip>

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Carl,

Am 31.05.20 um 13:38 schrieb Carl Marcum:
> Hi Keith,
>
> On 5/30/20 8:41 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> I should probably have my head examined but I am thinking of one more
>> time trying to revive the documentation effort for AOO. One of the
>> drawbacks is that most people that have started to help have left as
>> there has been very limited availability of mentoring. I do not see this
>> changing but I am hoping that by defining a new process we can reduce
>> the dependency on mentoring.
>>
>> One idea for this would require that the MediaWiki extension be made
>> functional again. This would allow for using Writer to create the source
>> which could be stored in the git repository and then be transferred to
>> the mwiki for easy online access. By storing the source in the
>> repository it would give us better revision control over the
>> documentation. Plus it may help relieve the mentoring problem as many
>> more people are familiar with using Writer.
>
> Is this extension a different one that the IDL tag extension that is
> causing the
> problem with the dev guides?

Keith is talking about the Wiki publisher extension from AOO.
Although we build it with every release it has not been functional for a
long time...

You are probably thinking of the Wiki extension for our Wiki server.

Two different things, but both must be fixed. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Carl Marcum <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi Keith,

On 5/30/20 8:41 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> I should probably have my head examined but I am thinking of one more
> time trying to revive the documentation effort for AOO. One of the
> drawbacks is that most people that have started to help have left as
> there has been very limited availability of mentoring. I do not see this
> changing but I am hoping that by defining a new process we can reduce
> the dependency on mentoring.
>
> One idea for this would require that the MediaWiki extension be made
> functional again. This would allow for using Writer to create the source
> which could be stored in the git repository and then be transferred to
> the mwiki for easy online access. By storing the source in the
> repository it would give us better revision control over the
> documentation. Plus it may help relieve the mentoring problem as many
> more people are familiar with using Writer.

Is this extension a different one that the IDL tag extension that is
causing the
problem with the dev guides?

> Another would be to use Docbook, though this is not as appealing as I
> have no familiarity with it and it appears that there is a steep
> learning curve to its use and that would be a disadvantage to attracting
> new people.
>
> I look forward to any other suggestions that could move this effort
> along as it has languished for far to long.
>
> Regards
> Keith

Thanks,
Carl

Re: Trying to re-generate the Documentation effort

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Am 03.06.20 um 14:50 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:
> On 6/3/2020 2:32 AM, Peter Kovacs wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> Here is the talk I mentioned earlier. It explains how SuSE is Publishing
>> Documentation (Which is in general), and what Tools they use.
>>
>> https://archive.fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/writing_open_source_documentation/
>>

>> Hope it is inspiring on creating a new documentation process.
>>
> Peter;
> Thanks for the link to the Fosdem presentation. I will take a closer
> look at it later today.  have the grandchildren tomorrow and attempting
> anything that requires thought and study is night on impossible with a 9
> and 11 year old in attendance.

That is great! Enjoy the time with the kids. That is awesome.

I visited my parents the other day and that was so awesome. There is no
rush.

enjoy live.

:-D

I stress a bit the SUSE folks explain their way of doing things. I thing
they have lots of experience the way they go.

Which has interesting Ideas and thoughts. That what the talk is about
for me. I do not suggest to go down their road, even if this sounds
feasable to some extend.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 14:14:28 -0600
F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I will start to look at how to make
> actual documents from the DocBook output of Writer and I will see what I
> can figure out about the documentation process. I am certainly experiencing
> the feeling of being lost on a new project. I did subscribe to the doc mail
> list and that might be the place for further discussions about how to get
> the documentation work active again.
> Francis

A useful start might be to look at some of the Tutorials on en-Forum; they often give quite detailed methods of achieving OpenOffice operations for many of its applications.

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Trying to re-generate the Documentation effort

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Peter, all

> On June 2, 2020 3:51 AM F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All I meant was that a solution could be to provide such people with
> concrete suggestions of what to do first. Of course that can take into
> account their interests, skill level and available time. I am sure lists of
> possible contributions can be helpful for them to make a decision and it
> would make sense to start with that. But the success rate of recruiting
> using the self-directed approach has been very low. I do not understand why
> providing the option for more guidance to those who want it is so
> objectionable.  I  expect that many people joining a project feel lost and
> would appreciate getting more direction at first. It would be natural for
> them to become more independent after making a contribution or two.

+1
I agree with Francis. Giving people directions is a positive way to help them start.

This does not affect their freedom and is useful for the project and for the volunteers.
Telling people "you can do anything" but not giving examples or pointers IS demotivating for many people.
Other people who prefer to dig in and not take any suggestions are free to do so!

If Francis is volunteering to create lists of entry points I think he should be supported and appreciated!

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Pedro

Re: Trying to re-generate the Documentation effort

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi Francis,

Hi Keith,

Am 02.06.20 um 04:51 schrieb F Campos Costero:
> Peter - I regret that my suggestion came across as wanting to "boss people
> around". I was responding really to this comment earlier in the thread

Imho you have nothing to regret. In a conversation there are at least 2
people involved.

And it is very difficult to get a common understanding between people
who are

unknown to each other. Lets be stisfied that we have the same understanding.

Please take my apologies for my poor wording. I should have come up with
a better

approach to confirm or create consent. I have overshoot my goal.

>> Because all people who expressed interest expected they are told what
>> needs to be done where. They did not felt
>>
>> comfortable to figure that out on their own.
> All I meant was that a solution could be to provide such people with
> concrete suggestions of what to do first. Of course that can take into
> account their interests, skill level and available time. I am sure lists of
> possible contributions can be helpful for them to make a decision and it
> would make sense to start with that. But the success rate of recruiting
> using the self-directed approach has been very low. I do not understand why
> providing the option for more guidance to those who want it is so
> objectionable.  I  expect that many people joining a project feel lost and
> would appreciate getting more direction at first. It would be natural for
> them to become more independent after making a contribution or two.
>
> I hope Keith will express his opinion on this.

Yes, I am also interested. Keith you still have concerns of sorts?

Or other comment. I whish to hear that too.

Of course anyone else is invited to participate!

All the best

Peter

Re: Trying to re-generate the Documentation effort

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 6/1/2020 6:23 PM, F Campos Costero wrote:
> I am not sure that this part of the process has to remain as it is.
>> Unfortunately that is not going to change a whole lot. Just as the
>> development effort is self directed so is the Documentation effort and
>> all volunteers are advised of that.
>
> If we can increase participation in the documentation work by having
> someone to assign tasks to others, that seems like a reasonable change to
> make. I am willing to take on coordinating the assignments if others can
> help create a reasonable list of tasks. To be clear, if someone wants to be
> self directed, that would be great. If someone feels more comfortable being
> given a task, having a specific person to contact for help and perhaps
> having a little checking in on progress, I can do that. I have no training
> in technical writing. I took a quick look at DocBook and it does not seem
> conceptually difficult, so I can try to learn that. If someone can give me
> a little help at first, I would appreciate it.
>
> If you are wondering who I am, I have been a moderator on the user forum
> for about 10 years.
>
> Francis

Greetings Francis;

I am familiar with you through your posts both here and on the old OOo
lists as well. I welcome your offer to help with this. Hopefully with
two of us able to be available for help and mentoring the community for
documentation can grow.

I have been looking a little closer at DocBook as well and I believe it
could be a way to open up more avenues of distribution. AOO does output
to DocBook format through the save as option so that part of the
learning curve is eliminated for the volunteers. I believe there is also
a Media Wiki extension for DocBook so that we can still output to the
mwiki as well as to PDF and Epub and possibly others.

Regards
Keith
<snip>

Re: Trying to re-generate the Documentation effort

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Am 01.06.20 um 17:57 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:
> On 5/31/2020 10:41 PM, Peter Kovacs wrote:
>> Also socializing seems to be important. The volunteers do not want to
>> work "alone". They want to be part of something.
>>
>> How it is done, did not seem so important to me on first spot.
>>

>> I just want to point out, since I had multiple discussions now. ProOOBox
>> (Jörg care to share some details?) is working on a documentation update.
>>
>> Integrating them would be very nice from my stand point.
> Yes it would be, but could take a large translation effort if the
> Documentation they produce is not currently in English
I understood that the work is done on an english version too. But I am
not sure.

Re: Trying to re-generate the Documentation effort

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 5/31/2020 10:41 PM, Peter Kovacs wrote:

> Am 31.05.20 um 02:41 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:
>
>> Another would be to use Docbook, though this is not as appealing as I
>> have no familiarity with it and it appears that there is a steep
>> learning curve to its use and that would be a disadvantage to attracting
>> new people.
>
> The SUSE documenters use(d) Docbook to create multiple targets for
> documentation.

I like the idea of DocBook and since AOO will create the version 4.1.2
DTD for the XML structure the learning curve for a volunteer is greatly
reduced. The learning curve would be myself and hopefully others in
learning how to generate the different formats for distribution.

> They presented their way on FOSDEM in 2017, for LO. It was very
> interesting. But I dont know if they stick to it, because LO shifted all
> documentation into the web.
>
> And created a Platform similar to pootle. (I never looked at it, just
> what I picked up from my FOSDEM visits)

From What I can see from a cursory inspection of there documentation

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.