Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Numa Schmeder <nu...@nsconsult.net> on 2006/12/15 10:26:50 UTC

Storing the locale in the URL, Tapestry 4

Hello,

I have used Tapestry 3 in different projects, i am studying the
migration of one of these projects to Tapestry 4.  But one of the
requirement of the project is to have the locale stored in the URL.
In Tap 3, i have modified the source code so the locale is not stored
inside a cookie, but inside a URL, i have added a custom parameter
called "l", thus the URL became "app?service=page/services&l=fr".
This was a requirement for the search engine, so the same page in
different language doesn't appear the same of a search engine or for
a browser cache.  It works great!
I would like to do the same with Tap 4, i have been digging a bit in
the code, and the best two places to do this seems the LinkFactory
and the RequestLocaleManager.  In the LinkFactory i should add a new
parameter "l" and take the locale from the cycle or the engine.  In
the RequestLocaleManager i should add a new method that extracts the
locale from the WebRequest instead of the Cookie.
What do you think, am i correct?  I don't know much about hivemind,
but from what i understand, i don't need to change the source code of
Tap 4 but i can add a new contribution (i don't know hivemind!!!)
that replaces the default LinkFactory and RequestLocaleManager.
If someone has a better solution, i would be interested or if someone
knows another trick to store the locale in the URL?

Thanks

Numa