Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/07 16:44:57 UTC

who is using kafka to stare large messages?

When people using message queues, the message size is usually pretty small.

I want to know who out there is using kafka with larger payload sizes?

In the configuration, the maximum message size by default is set to 1
megabyte (
message.max.bytes1000000)

My message sizes will be probably be around 20-50 KB but to me that is
large for a message payload so I'm wondering what effects that will have
with kafka.

Re: who is using kafka to stare large messages?

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
And to be clear, if uncompressed messages come in, they remain uncompressed
in the broker, correct?

Correct

Currently, only the broker has knowledge of the offsets for a partition and
hence is the right place to assign the offsets. Even if the producer sends
metadata, the broker still needs to decompress the data in order to get a
handle to the individual message in order to assign the logical offset.

One of the JIRAs discussing this is here -

Neha

Posted by Jason Rosenberg <jb...@squareup.com>.
Ah,

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Rosenberg <jb...@squareup.com>.
Neha,

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Black <b...@b3k.us>.
I don't think the batch referred to initially is a Kafka API batch, hence
the confusion. I'm sure someone from LinkedIn can clarify.

Posted by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.