Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dola Woolfe <do...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/25 01:26:22 UTC

Multiple hit from one user problem

Hi,

Since this doesn't appear to threads issue I'm taking
it out into a separate thread.

I'm running TC 5.4.4 on port 80 with no Apache on XP
Pro. A colleague on mine has an Excel spreadsheet
attempts to perform about 2000 very short queries,
most likely in sequence. About half of the way
through, the server stop responding to him. When he
then uses the browser to go to one of the pages served
by the server he gets a "page cannot be displayed".
After about 2 min (we never really timed) things
return to normal.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron Fude

Re: Multiple hit from one user problem

Posted by Dola Woolfe <do...@yahoo.com>.

> This sounds like resource exhaustion. Either the
> client is holding HTTP
> connections open (Excel? No, it could not be so ;-)
> ) or the server is
> not releasing DB connections.
>
> Nix.

You know, this explanation seems very plausible. (It's
not a question of releasing DB installations since the
entire database is loaded once when tomcat starts and
then served from java objects.)

Suppose that his Excel is holding the connections
open. Would it make sense then that his browser also
fails to connect to my server, but doesn't have any
problem connecting to any other server?

Aaron

PS: Are you really from Yugoslavia? (You speak such
good English.)

Re: Multiple hit from one user problem

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.