Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Stephenson Tim <Ti...@iie.qld.gov.au> on 2002/04/05 02:24:48 UTC

[PROPOSAL] calendar taglib

i am developing a taglib to provide calendar functionality similar to many
PIMs. the rason behind this is that i find applications often need to
present custom application data to users, who find the PIM interface
familiar and hence intuitive

the principle i have adopted is to write a model bean and a view taglib.
data is configurable by some arbitrary business component which constructs a
Map of data beans and hands it to the taglib for presentation in the
standard PIM formats (month view etc). presentation is entirely configurable
using CSS classes set in the data bean or defaults provided by the taglib.

i will probably add dayview and yearview.

does anyone feel this would be a useful contribution to the apache taglibs?

some detail of the current work is included below

rgds, tim

example of the current tag:
<cal:monthview month="0" dayDataMap="<%= request.getAttribute("myMap") %>"/>

tld for current tag:
	<tag>
		<name>monthview</name>
		<tagclass>org.apache.taglib.calendar.MonthViewTag</tagclass>
		<bodycontent>empty</bodycontent>
		<info>Displays a month view with a great deal of flexibility
to change presentation
		using CSS styles and the ability to enter data items on a
given date. The dayDataMap
		is a java.util.Map of DayData elements keyed by
java.util.Dates. This allows a
		business component to construct the (Model) data and hand it
to this tag (via the
		HTTP session) for presentation.
		</info>
		<attribute>
			<name>month</name>
			<required>true</required>
			<rtexprvalue>true</rtexprvalue>
		</attribute>
		<attribute>
			<name>dayDataMap</name>
			<required>false</required>
			<rtexprvalue>true</rtexprvalue>
		</attribute>
	</tag>

RE: [PROPOSAL] calendar taglib

Posted by Ming Fai <mi...@hongkong.com>.
I'm not a Apache Taglibs developer, but a newbie of this mail list. I like
your idea of making a calendar taglib and I have tried a calendar taglib
before and notice there are two problems for that taglib. I hope this
information can help you.

http://coldjava.hypermart.net/servlets/caltag.htm
problems:
- cannot highlight the current date (without jsp code)
- the html code does not conform to html 4.0 standard.

Another calendar project is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/handytags/.

regards,
mingfai