Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Edmund Horner <ed...@chrysophylax.cjb.net> on 2003/12/08 01:33:28 UTC

Microsoft Platform SDK

According to section II.E of INSTALL, I'm going to need to get Microsoft
Platform SDK to compile Subversion.

But it's 179.4 MB!  I've tried getting it before but there doesn't seem
to be a resumable way to do so, and getting my modem to stay working for
179.4 MB is impossible (especially if I want to use the phone at some
stage in those 18 or so hours!).

I understand that all I really need from this 179.4 MB is some updated
headers.

Does anyone know of a less onerous source for these headers, or is the
PSDK the only legal way to get them?

TIA, Edmund Horner.

Re: Microsoft Platform SDK

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Edmund Horner wrote:

> Though in fact my goal is only to compile svndumpfilter, so it doesn't
> bother me if neither networking nor filesystem stuff are working
> (AFAIK it doesn't use either?).  :-)

It doesn't, but why don't you just use the pre-build binary from
subversion.tigris.org? I promise I didn't put in any more viruses and
back doors than you're likely to find in SDK headers on the 'net. :-)

Re: Microsoft Platform SDK

Posted by Edmund Horner <ed...@chrysophylax.cjb.net>.
Branko Čibej wrote:

>>Hmm, I have had no trouble compiling Apache2 without getting any PSDK
>>stuff; do you think I should poke around in Apache2 to see if it
>>includes it?
>

> It doesn't. Sorry. :-)
>
> (Actually, I think you need the internet development bit of the SDK for
> libsvn_ra_dav -- or rather, neon, not APR. My mistake if that's so.)

Thanks.

It seems you also need some stuff for SHGetFolderPathA() and
SHGetFolderPathW().  I'm poking around on Google for bits and peices I
can use to patch it, which is obviously a rather dangerous practice.

Though in fact my goal is only to compile svndumpfilter, so it doesn't
bother me if neither networking nor filesystem stuff are working (AFAIK
it doesn't use either?).  :-)

Edmund.

Re: Microsoft Platform SDK

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Re: Microsoft Platform SDK

Posted by Edmund Horner <ed...@chrysophylax.cjb.net>.
Branko Čibej wrote:

> You don't have to install the whole SDK, only the core and the itnernet
> development part (that's for APR). Should be much smaller.

Hmm, I have had no trouble compiling Apache2 without getting any PSDK
stuff; do you think I should poke around in Apache2 to see if it
includes it?

Thanks for the response,
Edmund.

Re: Microsoft Platform SDK

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Edmund Horner wrote:

> According to section II.E of INSTALL, I'm going to need to get
> Microsoft Platform SDK to compile Subversion.
>
> But it's 179.4 MB!  I've tried getting it before but there doesn't
> seem to be a resumable way to do so, and getting my modem to stay
> working for 179.4 MB is impossible (especially if I want to use the
> phone at some stage in those 18 or so hours!).

You don't have to install the whole SDK, only the core and the itnernet
development part (that's for APR). Should be much smaller.

> I understand that all I really need from this 179.4 MB is some updated
> headers.

And DLLs and import libraries.

> Does anyone know of a less onerous source for these headers, or is the
> PSDK the only legal way to get them?

AFAIK you can order it on CD.