Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Moenieb Davids <mo...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/07 18:10:47 UTC

Solr for Content Management

Hi All,

Background:
I am currently testing a deployment of a content management framework where
I am trying to punt Solr as the tool of choice for ingestion and searching.

Current status:
I have deployed SolrCloud across multiple servers with multiple shards and
a replication factor of 2.
In terms of collections, I have a person collection that contains details
individuals including address and high level portfolio info. Structurally,
this collection contains great grandchildren.
Then I have a few collections that deals with content. For now, content is
just emails and document with a max size of 2MB, with certain user
exceptions that can go higher than 2MB.
Content is indexed twice in terms of the actual content, firstly as
binary/stream and then as readable text. Metadata is negligible

Challenges:
When performing full text searches without concurrently executing updates,
solr seems to be doing well. Running updates also does okish given the
nature of the transaction. However, when I run search and updates
simultaneously, performance drops quite significantly. I have played with
field properties, analyzers, tokenizers, shafting sizes etc.
Any advice?
Would like to know if anyone has done something similar. Please excuse the
long winded message

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Solr for Content Management

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 6/7/2018 12:10 PM, Moenieb Davids wrote:
> Challenges:
> When performing full text searches without concurrently executing updates,
> solr seems to be doing well. Running updates also does okish given the
> nature of the transaction. However, when I run search and updates
> simultaneously, performance drops quite significantly. I have played with
> field properties, analyzers, tokenizers, shafting sizes etc.

I have absolutely no idea what a shafting size is.  If I google for it,
the only relevant thing that comes up is your message on this list.

Doing updates at the same time as queries will always have an impact on
query performance.  But if that impact is very significant, then it
sounds like the machine doesn't have enough memory to allow the OS to
effectively cache the index data.  When updates are made, all the data
that is written will end up in the disk cache, and if the cache is as
big as can get already, it will push older data out of the cache.

Disks are very slow compared to memory, so if the index data required to
complete a query must be read from the disk, performance is adversely
affected.

A page discussing OS disk cache requirements:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems#RAM

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr for Content Management

Posted by Emir Arnautović <em...@sematext.com>.
Hi,
It is also likely that your indexing is using resources and that there are not enough resources for queries to process. Indexing can put stress on heap and GCs might be slowing Solr down resulting in observed latency. Can you tell us a bit more on size of your index, server configs, heap size, indexing rate, how do you do indexing (batch size) and query rate. This might give us better ideas to point you into right direction.
Do you use anything to monitor your Solr/host? Does monitoring tool suggest that there are some bottleneck?

Thanks,
Emir

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Hastings <ha...@gmail.com>.