Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2009/11/02 19:46:14 UTC

mod_rewrite - starting to break stuff

I've rewritten the intro to mod_rewrite at /docs/manual/rewrite/
index.html  Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.
It's all new prose and removes the voodoo and sendmail comments, for
which I'll no doubt get some flak, but I maintain that they contribute
nothing to the documentation but fear and loathing.

I'm renaming the rewrite_foo.xml to foo.xml as discussed months and
months ago, to simplify the URLs. This may break stuff short term.
Should have it all fixed soon.

Need help: for some reason, intro.html.fr didn't rebuild. Can someone
look at what I broke?

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: mod_rewrite - starting to break stuff

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Nov 3, 2009, at 06:32 , Dan Poirier wrote:

> Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> writes:
>
>> I've rewritten the intro to mod_rewrite at /docs/manual/rewrite/
>> index.html  Please take a look at it and let me know what you
>> think.
>
> Reading the introduction, under "RewriteRule basics", I wonder how it
> distinguishes between the first two kinds of substitution, a
> filesystem
> path or a web-path, since they have pretty much the same syntax.  I
> think this would be a good place for a hint about that.

Yes, I noticed that too and then forgot about it. Thanks for the
reminder. Mostly I've been horrified at how much *completely* wrong
stuff has been in the mod_rewrite docs for more than ten years.

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.

Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>