Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com> on 2007/02/09 19:55:41 UTC

WSDL2 churn is slowing down M7

I seem to be going backwards with the M7 release due to the amount of
uber-churn going with the WSDL2 spec.  Not actually in the editor's copies
of Part1 and Part2, but in the CR issues list and the test suite. The
Part1 and Part2 docs no longer match the test suite, but I guess there are
editorial actions assigned that will bring them up to date.

Earlier in the week I had to fix some Woden testcase failures after CR145
change the scope of shema components in the component model. Then after my
last post about CR138, I had to modify InterfaceFault and WsdlCm to
support the new {message content model} property. Having regenerated
Woden's interchange test results I now find 4 new failures - one because
of an error in the canonical baseline for a new testcase SAWSDL-0G and 3
MessageTest failures because {http transfer encoding} has been renamed to
{http content encoding} by CR143.

I realize that these changes are a necessary part of finalizing the CR
spec and moving it to PR (well, except for the baseline error), but it
makes it difficult to complete M7 given that our key release defining
criteria is 'all green' on the Component Model Interchange testcases and
it's this part of the WSDL 2.0 test suite that keeps changing.

I think we have two choices with M7:

1) we stick with our existing release defining criteria and wait for the
WSDL2 churn to stop before attempting an M7 release

2) we drop the 'all green' criteria and release M7 as it is, then do an M8
release soon afterwards for these final CR spec changes (maybe M8 could
match a new PR spec).

I won't have much time next week to keep on fixing Woden to match a moving
test suite and then recreating the candidate M7 build to try to get a
release vote started.  Let me know what you think.

regards,
John Kaputin

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: WSDL2 churn is slowing down M7

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ar...@gmail.com>.
John,

Woden should simply ignore the WS-A and SAWDSL extensions. No impact to the
component model since these are unknown to Woden and not marked as required.

-- Arthur

Posted by John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.