Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Christer Morén <ch...@omgroup.com> on 2000/10/12 09:44:36 UTC

→ does not produce a right-arrow

I need a right arrow -> and tried &#8594; which works fine when I produce html
or use jade + dsssl + PDFWriter to produce pdf, but when I used the same entity
with FOP it is displayed as an registered sign (&#174;)

Anyone who knows a fix for this??

/Christer Moren

Re: → does not produce a right-arrow

Posted by Christian Geisert <Ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
"Christer Morén" wrote:

> I need a right arrow -> and tried &#8594; which works fine when I produce html
> or use jade + dsssl + PDFWriter to produce pdf, but when I used the same entity
> with FOP it is displayed as an registered sign (&#174;)
>
> Anyone who knows a fix for this??

Look at docs/examples/fonts.fo, ZapfDingbats and Symbol have some nice arrows

> /Christer Moren

Adios,
  Christian

Re: → does not produce a right-arrow

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
"Christer Morén" wrote:

> I need a right arrow -> and tried &#8594; which works fine when I
> produce html or use jade + dsssl + PDFWriter to produce pdf, but when
> I used the same entity with FOP it is displayed as an registered
> sign (&#174;)
&#174; looks like this: ®. It's an ANSI or ISO/IEC 8559-1 (Latin 1).
&#8594; thereas is a unicode character (two bytes long). Unicode
characters can only be displayed if the operating system, the used font
and the used displaying application are unicode-compatible. For instance
Windows NT (with actual service pack) and Windows 2000 are
unicode-compatible and deliver some unicode fonts. Netscape 4.7.5 is
(with very few exceptions) not unicode-compatible. Using unicode
entities in Netscape only shows a question mark (this also occurs with
&#8594;). Completely unicode-noncompatible applications therefore will
just display one byte of the character value and ignore the other,
giving you the reg-character. this is similar to the change German
Umlaute (ä, ö, ü, ß) experience if displayed on a seven-bit-per-byte
machine (I encountered this on an IBM S/390 mainframe).
So if you change the applications you're using you'll get the correct
character. Maybe even your FOP implementation isn't unicode-compatible.

Hope that helps.
Best regards,
Martin Stricker