Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Geett Chanddra Singha <ge...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/06 05:45:42 UTC

Issue in IPv6 evironment

Hi All,

I am using Apache Tomcat version 6.0.035 for a web application, everything
seems to be working fine when I access the application in HTTPS
mode,however if I try to access in HTTP mode, I am not able launch home
page of web application.As a workaround I made a small change as
highlighted in red color in server.xml as given below:

<Connector port="8080" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" *
protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"*
               enableLookups="false"  acceptCount="100"
               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

So I would like to know is it ok add mentioned parameter to server.xml.

--
Thanks & Regards
Geett Chanddra Singha

Re: Issue in IPv6 evironment

Posted by Geett Chanddra Singha <ge...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ognjen! for your debugging tips.

I shall provide you information.

My apologies for not providing enough information to you.
Next time I shall come up with more information :)

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 2:22 AM, Ognjen Blagojevic <
ognjen.d.blagojevic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Geett,
>

> On 6.3.2013 15:14, Geett Chanddra Singha wrote:
>
>> Right? What about IPv4? Do you use it? Is it similar situation when you
>> use
>> IPv4 (works only when you add "protocol" attribute)? Are you sure that
>> IPv6
>> protocol is being used? Do you access your server using hostname or IP
>> address?
>> ----------------
>>
>> Your are right, the same change works for IPv4 environment (i.e. RHEL)
>>

> (Sigh) So many questions, so few answers.
>

>  2. Your access to HTTP might be blocked due to:
>>
>> a. Wrong URL (you must use port 8080)
>>
>> b. Network/OS firewall (port 8080 is blocked) -- check with telnet
>> server.example.com 8080, does it work? Repeat the same using IPv6
>> address,
>> does it work?
>>
>> c. Tomcat not starting on port 8080 -- check log files for entry 'INFO:
>> Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"]', are there any errors? If
>> log files look OK, and they have no errors, also check access log. Do you
>> see entry for requested URL there? What does it look like?
>> ---------------
>> Since , the same change works for IPv4 environment (i.e. RHEL), we don't
>> have issues mentioned.
>>
>> So I would like to know whether the change can be incorporated to
>> server.xml, if not please let me know solution/workaround.
>>

> In order to try to find the solution for your problem, we must first
> diagnose what exactly is the problem, and why can't you access Tomcat when
> there is no protocol attribute specified in the connector.
>
> Adding attribute protocol="org.apache.coyote.**http11.Http11Protocol" to
> HTTP connector would only make a difference if you have APR/native
> connector installed (perhaps faulty). Did you install it?
>
> That is why I would like to see your Tomcat startup logs WITH and WITHOUT
> protocol attribute. We are looking for something like this:
>
>   Mar 01, 2013 01:02:03 AM org.apache.coyote.**AbstractProtocol start
>   INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-apr/bio-8080"]
>
> Could you please provide log contents for both cases.
>

> -Ognjen

Thanks & Regards
Geett Chanddra Singha

Re: Issue in IPv6 evironment

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Geett,

Re: Issue in IPv6 evironment

Posted by Geett Chanddra Singha <ge...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ognjen!

1. Did I understand correctly:

- You are able to access your Tomcat server using HTTPS over IPv6.

- If you do not add "protocol" attribute to your HTTP connector, you are
unable to access Tomcat server using HTTP.

- After you add "protocol" attribute everything works as expected.

[...]

Regards,
Geett

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Ognjen Blagojevic <
ognjen.d.blagojevic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Geett,
>

> On 6.3.2013 11:37, Geett Chanddra Singha wrote:
>
>> - what version of Tomcat (x.y.z) you are using
>>    - *Tomcat Version 6.0.035*
>>

>> - under what version of Java
>>    - *Java version 1.6.033*
>> *
>>
>> *
>> - under what platform O.S.
>>   - *Windows and Linux*
>>

> 1. Did I understand correctly:
>
> - You are able to access your Tomcat server using HTTPS over IPv6.
>
> - If you do not add "protocol" attribute to your HTTP connector, you are
> unable to access Tomcat server using HTTP.
>
> - After you add "protocol" attribute everything works as expected.
>
> Right? What about IPv4? Do you use it? Is it similar situation when you
> use IPv4 (works only when you add "protocol" attribute)? Are you sure that
> IPv6 protocol is being used? Do you access your server using hostname or IP
> address?
>

> 2. Your access to HTTP might be blocked due to:
>
> a. Wrong URL (you must use port 8080)
>
> b. Network/OS firewall (port 8080 is blocked) -- check with telnet
> server.example.com 8080, does it work? Repeat the same using IPv6
> address, does it work?
>
> c. Tomcat not starting on port 8080 -- check log files for entry 'INFO:
> Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"]', are there any errors? If
> log files look OK, and they have no errors, also check access log. Do you
> see entry for requested URL there? What does it look like?
>
> -Ognjen

Thanks & Regards
Geett Chanddra Singha

Re: Issue in IPv6 evironment

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Geett,

Re: Issue in IPv6 evironment

Posted by Geett Chanddra Singha <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Geett Chanddra Singha wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I would like to know is that is it ok to add this as shown below
>>
>> protocol="org.apache.coyote.**http11.Http11Protocol"
>>
>> in
>>
>> <Connector port="8080" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" *
>> maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
>> enableLookups="false"  acceptCount="100" connectionTimeout="20000"
>> disableUploadTimeout="true" />
>>

> As there are certainly differences in the <tag> attributes between
> different versions of Tomcat, it would be a good idea to mention
> - what version of Tomcat (x.y.z) you are using
> - under what version of Java
> - under what platform O.S.
>
> This is by the way a good practice in general for *any* question to the
> list, as it usually saves time for everyone.

Thanks & Regards
Geett Chanddra Singha

Re: Issue in IPv6 evironment

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Issue in IPv6 evironment

Re: Issue in IPv6 evironment

Posted by Geett Chanddra Singha <ge...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Thanks for letting me know,

What I wanted to know is that is it ok to add this as shown below

protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"

in

<Connector port="8080" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" *
enableLookups="false"  acceptCount="100" connectionTimeout="20000"
disableUploadTimeout="true" />

Regards::Geet

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

Thanks & Regards
Geett Chanddra Singha

Re: Issue in IPv6 evironment