Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Connor Brett <Co...@AXXIA.com> on 2008/01/16 16:17:19 UTC

Clusters

We trying clusters with Jackrabbit 1.3.3, and I have a couple of
questions / issues:

1) journal database connection recovery - if / when the database is
offline the journal connection is never recovered, and errors are
repeatedly logged. Document operations seem to continue - errors are
logged but no exceptions are thrown. Nodes in the cluster are presumably
out of sync now. Does anyone know if this is recovered cleanly next time
the nodes restart or whether this is permanently bad? I don't like even
asking the question, but I'm being pressured to hold off upgrading to
1.4 at present.

2) searching doesn't seem to work over clusters, eg. add a document in
NODE-1, search for the document in NODE-1 works, search with the same
query in NODE-2 and the document is not found. The lucene indexes seem
to be in the local file system always, I can't find any other
configuration. Is there a way for the clusters to either share the
indexes or for JR to update the indexes from the journalled changes?
Does 1.4 change this (I didn't see anything in the release notes about
it)?

Thanks
Brett

E-MAIL DISCLAIMER
The information in this e-mail and any attachment is confidential. It is intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not a named recipient please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person or take copies. Although Axxia Systems has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been checked for viruses,it is strongly recommended that you carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment, as we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of software virus infection. Axxia Systems reserves the right to monitor and record e-mails sent to axxia.com, and senders of such messages shall be taken to consent to this.
Registered Office: Axxia House, Unit 4, The Pavilions, Ruscombe Business Park, Twyford, Berkshire, RG10 9NN. Registration Number: 3019229

Re: Clusters

Posted by Alessandro Bologna <al...@gmail.com>.
Regarding point 2, I can tell you that searching *does* work across
clusters. When a clustered server adds, deletes or updates a JCR node,
it writes a record in the journal table and the other servers are
notified and they update their local lucene indexes. Those indexes
need not to be on a shared filesystem.

Sometimes we experimented a situation where the local indexes (stored
on the filesystem, under repository/workspaces/<name>/index) on a
server may have become corrupted, and that leads to queries returning
no nodes. In those cases, it was enough to stop the server that fails,
delete the contents of the index directory, and restart it. Indexes
are regenerated, and it picks up any new change that has happened
while it was down.
Do you see anything weird in your logs?

Alessandro

Re: Clusters

Posted by "Perry.yin" <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi:
 Thanks a lot, stefan
  And Brett, Would you like to give your clusterting configuration? Very
appreciate for that.
I got the following error message :
 "*INFO * SearchManager: Node no longer available 1a6ed71e-531
4-414e-95a2-7632c52a7c5c, skipped. (SearchManager.java, line 467) "

Cheers
Perry

Re: Clusters

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@day.com>.