Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2012/11/26 15:56:38 UTC

types added after type system commit - request for more understanding :-)

I saw in the code that's run during type system commit a comment that subtypes
of FsArray (which specify the allowed type of the element of the array) can be
added after the type system commit.

But it may be that this is some kind of housekeeping (I don't fully understand),
and these types don't actually appear as type codes in the CAS.  Or maybe they do?

Does anyone remember how all this is supposed to work?  I'm concerned in case
the code that was recently committed for compressed serializing has to do
something special for these types.  Currently, the code pre-computes information
about the type system, once, and that is reused.  However, if more types were
added subsequently, and these types could appear in the CAS as type codes, this
would need to be checked for and recomputed.

-Marshall

Re: types added after type system commit - request for more understanding :-)

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
On 26/11/12 15:56, Marshall Schor wrote:
> I saw in the code that's run during type system commit a comment that subtypes
> of FsArray (which specify the allowed type of the element of the array) can be
> added after the type system commit.
>
> But it may be that this is some kind of housekeeping (I don't fully understand),
> and these types don't actually appear as type codes in the CAS.  Or maybe they do?
>
> Does anyone remember how all this is supposed to work?  I'm concerned in case
> the code that was recently committed for compressed serializing has to do
> something special for these types.  Currently, the code pre-computes information
> about the type system, once, and that is reused.  However, if more types were
> added subsequently, and these types could appear in the CAS as type codes, this
> would need to be checked for and recomputed.
>
> -Marshall

As I recall, the idea was that you could create, say, an FSArray<Token>
in your code without having to declare that type in the type system.
Not sure you can actually do that, but I think you can.  When this type
is requested from the type system, and it doesn't exist yet, it is
created on the fly.  I was going back and forth with Adam about this at
the time, but I don't recall what we ended up doing.  Your code should
not have to worry about it, unless I'm missing something here (which is
definitely possible).

--Thilo