Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by LeeAnn Pultz <le...@extraview.com> on 2005/04/20 00:19:33 UTC

OutOfMemoryError - 100 thread limit?

I have a tomcat server with multiple copies of our web application
running.  We are running into what seems to be a hard-coded limit on the
number of threads available to the Tomcat application.

I have added code to our servlet class which prints out the number of
active threads whenever I initialize the servlet.  On Red Hat Linux boxes,
whenever we start up enough copies of the servlet to hit 100 active
threads, we reach an OutOfMemoryError - regardless of the Xms/Xmx settings
(memory profiling shows that we have plenty of memory available).  On
Windows XP, 50 seems to be the magic number.

I have tried tweaking Xss parameters, my ulimit command in Linux shows
"unlimited" - and I have reached the same results with Tomcat 3.3.1, 4.0.28
and 5.0.28 using Java 1.4.1 and 1.4.2.  When I use WebLogic 8.1 on the same
Linux box, I reach 241 active threads with no problems whatsoever (stopped
my testing at that number) so it does not seem to be an o/s limitation, or
a java limitation - which leads me to believe there is something in Tomcat?

Is the number of threads available to tomcat hard coded somewhere? Is there
a parameter or configuration setting that I can change to increase this?

If this question is better off posted to the developers list, please
someone, let me know :)

thanks!

LeeAnn Pultz
ExtraView Corporation
leeann@extraview.com
831-461-7100 x115

Re: OutOfMemoryError - 100 thread limit?

Posted by LeeAnn Pultz <le...@extraview.com>.
No, unfortunately, changing those options doesn't seem to make any
difference either.

On tomcat 3, I even tried manipulating the thread pool settings (since in 4
and 5 those are handled inside tomcat).
But I'm seeing the same problems on 3, 4 and 5.0

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by LeeAnn Pultz <le...@extraview.com>.
We did run some code that just makes threads, on the machine and it had no
effect - I'll incorporate that code inside a servlet, so we can do this
test against tomcat and see if it makes a difference.

We just tried the same test against tomcat 5.0 using port 8080 and not
using any of the mod_jk connectors, to see if that made a difference - we
found that we started with more active threads by uncommenting that section
of server.xml (started with 67 active threads rather than 44) and got a bit
higher (died at 118 threads rather than 100 threads) so I'm taking that
result to show that the actual number of threads allocated to the
application remained about the same, with or without the usage of mod_jk.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by LeeAnn Pultz <le...@extraview.com>.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by LeeAnn Pultz <le...@extraview.com>.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Which connector to use, and how to build

Posted by Daxin Zuo <dz...@techexcel.com>.
Please help
Computer: UNIX Sparc 2.9
Apache 2.0.54
Tomcat 5.0.28

Please tell me what connector to use. I see the jk2 is in history. The last
version it supports is  2.0.43.
I downloaded the jakarta-tomcat-connectors-1.2.10-src.tar, it is difficult
to find a clear instruction for the build process.