Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by QCIT3 MMisonora <mm...@outlook.com> on 2017/06/29 19:55:55 UTC

Would Macros Made In OpenOffice Work If Someone Opened It On Excel???????????????

Hi there,

I am a new user to OpenOffice and was wondering if when I write lets say a spreadsheet with macros on it and sent to someone who would have to open that file in Excel cause they don't use OpenOffice, would the macros still work or would it not work like when one opens an Excel file with macros and it doesn't work.

Thanks,

Emma

Re: Would Macros Made In OpenOffice Work If Someone Opened It On Excel???????????????

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 19:55:55 +0000
QCIT3 MMisonora <mm...@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am a new user to OpenOffice and was wondering if when I write lets say a spreadsheet with macros on it and sent to someone who would have to open that file in Excel cause they don't use OpenOffice, would the macros still work or would it not work like when one opens an Excel file with macros and it doesn't work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emma

Different underlying code engines, so different macro structures.  Use the one program on all computers if you expect macros to work.  There is no reliable workaround.

.-
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Would Macros Made In OpenOffice Work If Someone Opened It On Excel???????????????

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 2017-06-29 15:55, QCIT3 MMisonora wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am a new user to OpenOffice and was wondering if when I write lets
> say a spreadsheet with macros on it and sent to someone who would
> have
> to open that file in Excel cause they don't use OpenOffice, would the
> macros still work or would it not work like when one opens an Excel
> file with macros and it doesn't work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emma

It is very very unlikely that it would work because the internal object
models for manipulating a document are different. If all your macro does
is say print a number using the print statement or message box,
probably; but I hvae not tested it.

Andrew Pitonyak

Re: Would Macros Made In OpenOffice Work If Someone Opened It On Excel???????????????

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

> hi.
> sorry because i answered this message very late!
> libreoffice supports visual basic (vba) and we dont need to buy it!

Really? How did they make Microsoft agree with that?

Posted by zahra a <na...@gmail.com>.
hi.

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.