Posted to adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org by Pi...@dmr.ca on 2006/06/20 19:19:56 UTC

Question concerning skinning and concerning renderer engine

Greetings,

After some days/weeks of research done by a small group of people and the
facts that we havn't found a lot of useful information, i'm turning to
this dev mailing list in a hope that someone might know the information we
are looking for !

The main goal is to allow a ProcessTrain component to be fully skinnable.
More precisely, to make every aspect of it be aliased to a user created
image. From the information gathered so far, a skinning file (the .css)
permits the modification of 4 aspects (images) which are Visited /
Unvisited / Active / Disabled. This was answered in the forum under the
link below... from someone who's part of this mailing list =) !   (thx for
that answer btw)
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=1290280&#1290280

However, this isn't sufficient to our needs, thus we kept digging to see
if the "rendering engine" itself could somehow be modified so the images
used by it to create the visual look of the ProcessTrain could be
modified.
Those images (the 19   *.gif starting with the letter "t") are hold in :
\adf-faces-impl\src\main\resources\org\apache\myfaces\adfinternal\ui\laf\oracle\desktop\cImages

While digging in the code, we ended at the Configuration.java, which is
under the path :
\adf-faces-impl\src\main\java\org\apache\myfaces\adfinternal\share\config\Configuration.java

Clearly, from this class definition, it is possible in a way to get the
URI and get the Path since both method exists. This is where we met our
wall and thus bring my question that follow.

Is it possible to access the information (probably a sort of collection or
table array) where the intern references are kept that link the images
used to render a ProcessTrain ?
Or, is this rendering and aliasing of those images kept out of reach from
the developper, thus, what we are trying to do, is in fact impossible
currently?

If someone is knowledgeable enough to answer those questions (be it only
partly) any pieces of informations would help us at this point.
Thanks!

Re: Question concerning skinning and concerning renderer engine

Posted by Jeanne Waldman <je...@oracle.com>.
Hello,

I'm the one that answered your OTN question. I didn't realize you were
spending days and weeks of research on this! I'm sorry about that. I was
told you found a different component.

I'd say it is impossible to do what you want to do unless you add these
image 'hooks' in base.desktop's ProcessTrainRenderer.java. You would
need to muck with the rendering code to put in additional skinnable hoos
like those that are there already. Then you would set those image hooks
to either null images, or very basic images in the SimpleDesktopSkin.
Then, you would document these hooks, like we do in the
skin-selectors.xml document, and the end user (you?) can add their own
images to these hooks, and make the processTrain look like the one in
the 'oracle' skin.

I haven't had a good look at the base ProcessTrainRenderer, so I'm not
sure how hard it would be to put in the hooks that you need.

The ADF Faces code is now in apache, and renamed to Trinidad. You can
create an issue

  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ADFFACES

, and maybe someone can fix this issue for you. Or you could check out
the code and make the contribution yourself. It would be reviewed and
committed by someone with committer status.

I hope this helps. Maybe you'll get additional suggestions on this forum.

- Jeanne