Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "tomas.kalas" <ka...@email.cz> on 2015/06/19 14:57:10 UTC

Limit indexed documents.

Hello i have a few questions for indexing data.
Existing some hardware or software limits for indexing data?
And is some maximum of indexed documents?
Thanks for your answers.

Re: Limit indexed documents.

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.
tomas.kalas <ka...@email.cz> wrote:
> Existing some hardware or software limits for indexing data?

The only really hard Solr limit is 2 billion X per shard, where X is document count, unique values in a DocValues String field and other things like that. There are some softer limits, after which performance degrades markedly: Number of fields (hundreds are fine, millions are unrealistic), number of shards (avoid going into the thousands). Having a Java heap of hundreds of gigabytes is possible, but requires tweaking to avoid very long garbage collection pauses. I do not know of a byte size limit for shards: Shards of 1-2 TB works without problems on fitting hardware.

> And is some maximum of indexed documents?

While the limit is 2 billion per single shard, SolrCloud does not have this limitation. A soft limit before doing some custom multi-level setup would thus be around 2000 billion documents, divided across 1000 shards.

- Toke Eskildsen