Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Amit Sela <am...@infolinks.com> on 2013/04/03 14:06:08 UTC

Solr ZooKeeper ensemble with HBase

Hi all,

I have a running Hadoop + HBase cluster and the HBase cluster is running
it's own zookeeper (HBase manages zookeeper).
I would like to deploy my SolrCloud cluster on a portion of the machines on
that cluster.

My question is: Should I have any trouble / issues deploying an additional
ZooKeeper ensemble ? I don't want to use the HBase ZooKeeper because, well
first of all HBase manages it so I'm not sure it's possible and second I
have HBase working pretty hard at times and I don't want to create any
connection issues by overloading ZooKeeper.

Thanks,

Amit.

Re: Solr ZooKeeper ensemble with HBase

Posted by Walter underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
It will be limited by disk IO until you get the caches full. Then it will be limited by CPU.

wunder

Posted by Michael Della Bitta <mi...@appinions.com>.
Solr heavily uses RAM for disk caching, so depending on your index
size and what you intend to do with it, 2 GB could easily not be
enough. We run with 6 GB heaps on 34 GB boxes, and the remaining RAM
is there solely to act as a disk cache. We're on EC2, though, so
unless you're using the SSD instances, the disks are slow. Might not
be a problem for you.

Also things like faceting and sorting can heavily hit the CPU.

Posted by Amit Sela <am...@infolinks.com>.

Posted by Michael Della Bitta <mi...@appinions.com>.
Hello, Amit: