Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Todd O'Bryan <to...@mac.com> on 2004/02/11 23:02:46 UTC

What do you use for the M?

I've found my way to Tapestry after searching around for a good webapp
framework for a few days. I've read the first two chapters of Tapestry
in Action, and have a pretty good idea how I can control and view a
model with a webapp using Tapestry.

What, however, do people use for the backend? I have a database that
I'd like to interact with in a less frustrating way than the plain old
JDBC code I've been using. Is there a favorite tool for Tapestry users?

Thanks,
Todd

Re: What do you use for the M?

Posted by "F. Da Costa" <da...@xs4all.nl>.
Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> I've found my way to Tapestry after searching around for a good webapp
> framework for a few days. I've read the first two chapters of Tapestry
> in Action, and have a pretty good idea how I can control and view a
> model with a webapp using Tapestry.
>
> What, however, do people use for the backend? I have a database that I'd
> like to interact with in a less frustrating way than the plain old JDBC
> code I've been using. Is there a favorite tool for Tapestry users?
Lets be the odd one out and put a risky statement between all the Hibernate
posts.
I'm using Perst(http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/perst.html), a full embedded
oobdms in java (python & some languages) with an amazingly small footprint
& i'm loving it every day. I've turned my back on relational more than 5
years ago now and have never looked back.

I know there is no arguing about taste (so I won't ;) ) but it still
surprises me sometimes that I almost always read about Hibernate, although
i do understand the reason why people (or should i say companies) would go
for 'mainstream' solutions. The surprise (for me ) lies in the fact that
Tapestry is not (yet) what one would call mainstrream so i guess we all
share at least one common trait, early adopters that like to live on the
edge. I hope my point is evident

if you have an opportunity to check it out go for it. The API is
rediculously small and it goes very well indeed the the Global object in
Tapestry. Slap some db-area managers on there with their particular
interfaces and y'r of to the races.

Well, got that of my chest so now i'll just move on to another 'silly'
thing i'm working on (JML, a behavioral interface specification language
that can be used to specify the behavior of Java modules *and* that can be
used to automatically generate unitTests(suites) *with* testdata as defined
per strategy)

Good luck,
Cheers
Fermin DCG

This is the link to the sister oodb (C++, & java, fully distributed etc.)
http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/goods.html

RE: What do you use for the M?

Posted by Larry Streepy <la...@staffmix.com>.
Not to let Hibernate go unchallenged :-) - check out OJB at
http://db.apache.org/ojb/index.html

Re: What do you use for the M?

Posted by Marilen Corciovei <le...@nemesisit.rdsnet.ro>.
Hibernate!!

Re: What do you use for the M?

Posted by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu>.
Everyone has their favorite.  Mine is Hibernate.
Check it out @ http://www.hibernate.org

Paul Ferraro

Re: What do you use for the M?

Posted by Bill Lear <ra...@zopyra.com>.
On Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 17:02:46 (-0500) Todd O'Bryan writes:
>What, however, do people use for the backend? I have a database that
>I'd like to interact with in a less frustrating way than the plain old
>JDBC code I've been using. Is there a favorite tool for Tapestry users?

I evaluated Hibernate, Cayenne, JDO (??), Turbine, iBatis, and several
others, and settled on iBatis.  Very simple, elegant, reasonably good
performance.  I posted an example here of it's use some time back.

Bill

Re: What do you use for the M?

Posted by Jonny Wray <jo...@yahoo.com>.
I'm currently using a combination of Hibernate for the pure persistance
framework, and Spring to control and configure the service layer
(transations etc). I've found this combination results in a very nice
seperation of concerns solution. There's a document about integrating
spring and tapestry on the spring site (http://www.springframework.org)

Jonny

RE: What do you use for the M?

Posted by Peter Butler <pe...@141.com>.
I wrote a brief summary of the advantages of using Tapestry and
Hibernate together:

http://www.clever.co.nz/articles/tapestry_and_hibernate.html

You might also want to look at an annotated sample application (lots
more detail here):

http://nemesisit.rdsnet.ro/opendocs/tapehibe2/tapehibe2.html

Cheers

Peter Butler