Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Fabio Albertin <fa...@subboard.buffalo.edu> on 2000/10/30 22:52:15 UTC

Problem with Apache::ASP

Hello,

I recentlu installed Apache::ASP on my server (i686, RH 6.2, Apache
1.3.12 + mod_perl, Perl 5, PHP 4) but I can't seem to get it working. When
I try to access the /site/eg/ directory of the Apache::ASP distribution,
the browser gives me a 500 error and my log says:
[alert] [client 127.0.0.1]
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/site/eg/.htaccess: Invalid command 'PerlSetVar',
perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server
configuration
The same thing happens when I put a PerlSetVar debug 2 in my httpd.conf.
How would I go about troubleshooting and fixing this error?

Thanks.

Bye,

Fabio Albertin

fabioa@subboard.buffalo.edu

Re: Problem with Apache::ASP

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

> You'll still need an
>          AddModule mod_perl.c
> declaration in your httpd.conf

And Apache will need to be able to find the object file - but that
should have been taken care of automatically by the 'make' steps.

73,
Ged.

Re: Problem with Apache::ASP

Posted by Matthew Byng-Maddick <mb...@colondot.net>.
On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Fabio Albertin wrote:
> There's one thing I forgot to mention: I'm running a statically compiled
> version of Papche, as recommended in the Apache::ASP README, so I don't
> think my httpd.conf needs to load any modules, or does it?
> I checked my log file for the status message and it didn't mention
> mod_perl... Do I have to re-install it or how do I get it to work with my
> statically compiled Apache?

You'll still need an
         AddModule mod_perl.c
declaration in your httpd.conf

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick   Home: <mb...@colondot.net>  +44 20  8981 8633  (Home)
http://colondot.net/   Work: <ma...@codix.net> +44 7956 613942  (Mobile)

Re: Problem with Apache::ASP

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi Fabio,

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Fabio Albertin wrote:

> I have, but it's rather confusing.

Oh, dear, we'll have to do something about that.  Can you point out
any particular areas that are confusing?  (Don't just say "all of it",
please:)  We can have another look at it and see how it can be improved.

73,
Ged.

Re: Problem with Apache::ASP

Posted by Fabio Albertin <fa...@subboard.buffalo.edu>.
> PS: You didn't answer my question:
> >
> > > Have you seen the Guide?  <http://perl.apache.org/guide>

I have, but it's rather confusing. I'll search for some conlusive answers
if I can find the time.

Fabio Albertin

Re: Problem with Apache::ASP

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Fabio Albertin wrote:

> There's one thing I forgot to mention: I'm running a statically compiled
> version of Papche, as recommended in the Apache::ASP README, so I don't
> think my httpd.conf needs to load any modules, or does it?
> I checked my log file for the status message and it didn't mention
> mod_perl... Do I have to re-install it or how do I get it to work with my
> statically compiled Apache?

Are you sure you have only one version of Apache and/or that you are
running the right one?  Are you looking at the right log?  Check dates
and times.  If the server doesn't announce mod_perl in the log, it is
probably not installed...

73,
Ged.

Re: Problem with Apache::ASP

Posted by Fabio Albertin <fa...@subboard.buffalo.edu>.
Hello,

Re: Problem with Apache::ASP

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Fabio Albertin wrote:

> I try to access the /site/eg/ directory of the Apache::ASP distribution,
> the browser gives me a 500 error and my log says:
> [alert] [client 127.0.0.1]
> /usr/local/apache/htdocs/site/eg/.htaccess: Invalid command 'PerlSetVar',
> perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server
> configuration
> The same thing happens when I put a PerlSetVar debug 2 in my httpd.conf.
> How would I go about troubleshooting and fixing this error?

It looks like your Apache isn't running mod_perl.  I guess your Apache
is loading mod_perl DSO, does mod_perl in fact say it's running if you
leave out the ASP/Perl stuff?  There should be a line in the error_log
which says "resuming normal operations" and that line should say the
mod_perl version number if all is well.