Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thomas Zastrow <li...@thomas-zastrow.de> on 2007/02/17 20:57:19 UTC

Template for scientific texts?

Hi there,

I'm searching for a FO-template, an example or something else for
scientific texts. Is there something like that available?

Thanx!

Tom

Re: Template for scientific texts?

Posted by Thomas Zastrow <li...@thomas-zastrow.de>.
Dear J.Pietschmann,

thanx for your answer.

J.Pietschmann schrieb:
> Thomas Zastrow wrote:
>> I'm searching for a FO-template, an example or something else for
>> scientific texts. Is there something like that available?
>
> Did you already try Google?

Yes, I did, but I found nothing suitable ...

> Other than that: "scientific texts" is a wide area. I guess this
> should mean "contains lots of mathematical formulas", "contains
> lots of diagrams" or both.
No, I just need some pictures, tables and footnotes, but no formulas.

> In the first case you'd probably advised to learn TeX/LATeX; using

I already know LateX - and I'm not satisfied with it. Because I have not
realy control of the layout and the use of color is difficult.

> formulas with FO requires you to learn and type MathML *and*
> installing a MathML extension for your favorite FO processor.
> In the second case, using SVG embedded in some XML will probably
> work for you.
That would be enough!

> In the third case, prepare to cope with some frustration regardless
> of the approach you use to attack your problem (although using
> illustrations with TeX is now easier than it used to be).
>
> Well, the canonical example for high level document-like XML is
> DocBook, although it is more geared towards software documentation
> than to scientific texts. Check out the EBNF extension for how to
> get your specific high-level stuff through the transformation (see
>  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/ebnf.xsl
> for details). There is a fairly large number of style sheets out
> there which generates SVG for various diagrams from reasonably
> readable source XML.

Thank you, I will take a look at docbook!

Best,

Tom

--------
www.opendtp.de

Re: Template for scientific texts?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Thomas Zastrow wrote:
> I'm searching for a FO-template, an example or something else for
> scientific texts. Is there something like that available?

Did you already try Google?

Other than that: "scientific texts" is a wide area. I guess this
should mean "contains lots of mathematical formulas", "contains
lots of diagrams" or both.
In the first case you'd probably advised to learn TeX/LATeX; using
formulas with FO requires you to learn and type MathML *and*
installing a MathML extension for your favorite FO processor.
In the second case, using SVG embedded in some XML will probably
work for you.
In the third case, prepare to cope with some frustration regardless
of the approach you use to attack your problem (although using
illustrations with TeX is now easier than it used to be).

Well, the canonical example for high level document-like XML is
DocBook, although it is more geared towards software documentation
than to scientific texts. Check out the EBNF extension for how to
get your specific high-level stuff through the transformation (see
  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/ebnf.xsl
for details). There is a fairly large number of style sheets out
there which generates SVG for various diagrams from reasonably
readable source XML.

J.Pietschmann