Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2011/12/13 17:41:17 UTC

Review Requests

What benefit does the review requests provide over just adding comments on JIRA and people reviewing there?  So far, it seems like it is yet another place I need to log in.

Re: Review Requests

Posted by Raphael Cendrillon <ce...@gmail.com>.
I think the path should be /trunk

Re: Review Requests

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Review Requests

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On 14.12.2011 Jake Mannix wrote:
> Exactly.  Lowers barrier to entry for joining in the review process.

Having Ted review more patches certainly is a +1 for having review board.

Just two wishes from my side:

I can easily parse all our stuff (comments on JIRA, commits and regular mails)
by reading the mailing lists only. The messages sent by review board right now
have a few flaws: They all come from the same mail address, they don't contain
some context from the original patch before the contents but only a link out to
the review board instance. That makes it hard to follow without actually
clicking through. Is there some configuration option to make them more
meaningful?

Also we should not make it any harder for potential new contributors to submit
patches - submitting stuff to review board should be encouraged but remain
strictly optional.

Looking forward to seeing more code-reviews also from non-committers,
Isabel

PS: If there is anyone close to Berlin who has used review board before and
loves it - I'd happy to get a brief introduction in return for a cup of coffee
and some cake :)

Re: Review Requests

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Look at how many times in the last two weeks that I have been able to make
> time to comment on review board versus how much code I have looked at
> without it.  Without review board, I just can't get to most review requests
> lately and so it is all or nothing in terms of getting code commentary out
> of me.

Exactly.  Lowers barrier to entry for joining in the review process.  If
you're
the sort who's already going to be applying patches all over the place,
running
tests, etc, then, well, Yay!  For the other people who just have 5 min while
waiting for something else at work to build or some other test to run on
their
laptop (something taking up 90% of the CPU, which doesn't allow for also
running Mahout tests, for example), here's to letting them add their $0.02

  -jake

Re: Review Requests

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Review Requests