Posted to modproxy-dev@apache.org by "Jay W. Reffner" <re...@findlay.edu> on 2003/01/23 01:35:33 UTC

Apache 2.0 Proxy & Windows Update

I'm not a developer but am in desperate need of some help for the Apache
2.0 proxy mod.  I've been running it on 2.0.43 (and just tried 2.0.44
with the same result) and I keep getting errors when my users try to
access http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ .  It says and error has
occured and won't let you update your computer.  I installed the Apache
1.3 on the same box with the same options and it works just fine so it's
isolated to 2.0.  Does anyone have any suggestions or help?  I would
really appreciate any assistance.

Sincerely,
Jay W. Reffner
Network Systems Manager
The University of Findlay

Re: Apache 2.0 Proxy & Windows Update

Posted by "Jay W. Reffner" <re...@findlay.edu>.
I will try it this morning.

Thanks,
Jay

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Jay W. Reffner wrote:

> I'm not a developer but am in desperate need of some help for the Apache
> 2.0 proxy mod.  I've been running it on 2.0.43 (and just tried 2.0.44
> with the same result) and I keep getting errors when my users try to
> access http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ .  It says and error has
> occured and won't let you update your computer.

Can you try a nightly build of httpd v2.0.45-dev and see if it fixes
your problem?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street
						tonight..."

Re: Apache 2.0 Proxy & Windows Update

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
This isn't too surprizing... a patch was just committed (after .44) to the
2.0.45-dev tree that will prevent us from removing the content-length.

Although we use either connection: close or chunked responses, it seems
many Windows 'client' apps including Adobe's Acrobat+IE absolutely barf
when they don't see a content-length (even though it's optional) in conjunction
with byteranges.  Since all windows download/updates tools use byteranges
to skip through and resume transmisssions, there is a pretty good chance
this will be licked in 2.0.45.

Bill