Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Cameron Taggart <ca...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/06 01:55:02 UTC

DNS Client (UDP/TCP 53)

Sorry if this is a bit off topic.  Has anyone used MINA to build a DNS
client?  I'm interested in doing nslookup type stuff from Java.

cheers,
Cameron

Re: DNS Client (UDP/TCP 53)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Cameron Taggart ha scritto:
> Sorry if this is a bit off topic.  Has anyone used MINA to build a DNS
> client?  I'm interested in doing nslookup type stuff from Java.
>
> cheers,
> Cameron

If you just need a NIO+SEDA dns client then you can look at dnsjnio:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dnsjnio/

It would be cool to have something similar MINA based so to optimize
threads usage and having the same "patterns" to monitor/tune the operations.

There is an ongoing MINA based DNS project under the Apache Directory
TLP umbrella, but this is more server oriented than a client library:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/apacheds/trunk/protocol-dns/

HTH,
Stefano

Re: DNS Client (UDP/TCP 53)

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 6, 2007 9:55 AM, Cameron Taggart <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry if this is a bit off topic.  Has anyone used MINA to build a DNS
> client?  I'm interested in doing nslookup type stuff from Java.

There's some implementation in the Directory project sandbox AFAIK.
There was also a long discussion about providing asynchronous DNS
protocol provider in MINA in cooperation with the dnsjava author and
other concerned people, but it was not realized yet.  Any contribution
is always appreciated.

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/