Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2007/01/26 21:28:44 UTC

Timing for Release Branch

The general release policy for OFBiz has been established and
documented and the information is available here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/1wE

I believe this is an actionable plan that we as a community can
reasonably deliver and that will hopefully also allow people who want
to contribute to participate in the release preparation and support
process. This is obviously not yet set in stone though it has been
discussed and hopefully all concerns have been voiced.

If you do have concerns about the release process, please start a new
thread with them (ie don't just reply and change the subject, click
on your new message button to create a brand new message) as the
purpose of this thread is to discuss the timing of a release branch.

So, when shall we create a release branch?

A few of my thoughts on this:

1. we'll be doing it approximately once per year and this is our
first one as an official Apache top level project
2. due to our committer situation we have a pretty good backlog of
Jira issues that should probably be at least thoroughly reviewed, if
not resolved, before we commit too much to a state of the code; we're
working on adding committers now (a total of 6, should they choose to
accept), but it may take a few weeks to get everyone setup
3. we are hoping to finish off and clean up a bunch of stuff in the
developers conference on March 5-9, so doing it after that might be
better, but that's certainly not required

Any feedback and thoughts on this would be well appreciated. I don't
feel like I have enough information or community feedback right now
to even make a proposal on this, let alone push it toward a decision
(ie a PMC vote or the like).

This is really something done on behalf of users of OFBiz and is not
as critical to those of us who are regularly involved in development
and who have structured our businesses such that we work from the
trunk so that as much as possible of our work can go right back into
the project. I say that just to reinforce the point that I don't
think where I'm sitting is the best vantage point to see what would
serve the community best.

Thanks in advance,
-David

Re: Timing for Release Branch

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David E. Jones wrote:
> 3. we are hoping to finish off and clean up a bunch of stuff in the
> developers conference on March 5-9, so doing it after that might be
> better, but that's certainly not required

That seems like a good plan to me. Personally, I believe the release will have
more credibility if it is post-conference.

Re: Timing for Release Branch

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Based on the feedback from this message it sounds like late March
would be a good time to do the release branch. This will be after the
developers conference and hopefully also give us all some time to
test and get some things fixed and cleaned up.

This isn't official or anything, BTW, just a goal. As the time gets
closer we'll follow standard release procedures, include doing a vote
for release on this mailing list.

-David

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Just an FYI for anyone wanting to help out, you can quickly view all of
the jira issues classed as bugs by clicking on Filters in the top right
corner and then clicking on Bugs.  That should take you here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12311423

Regards
Scott

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.