Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Albert Shih <Al...@obspm.fr> on 2009/04/22 14:30:57 UTC

externals and manual merge.

Hi all

Some my users want to do something I think it's impossible to do. But I'm
not svn guru so I would like to have you advise :

My users working on some software where half the code is from other
repository (read-only) but....they work on same file.

so in my «my-repos» I use svn propedit svn:externals to define on external
repository :

	my-repos/file1
	my-repos/file2
	my-repos/external/code-from-external/ext-file1
	my-repos/external/code-from-external/ext-file2

but...my users want to modify (and they will) ext-file1 and ext-file2 and
want those file under version control on my server (the external is on
read-only).

I think that's impossible, what's your opinion ?

Because I believe that's impossible I said to make a copy :

	cp -p -r my-repos/external/code-from-external my-repos/my-working
	svn add my-repos/my-working

and working on

	my-repos/my-working/ext-file1
	my-repos/my-working/ext-file2

but of course when the external repository make some update they are the
problem of merging. So is that possible to use manually the wonderfull
merging algorithme of subversion on those files (event not automatically)
between

	my-repos/external/code-from-external/ext-file1

and

	my/repos/my-working/ext-file1

regards.

JAS

--
Albert SHIH
SIO batiment 15

RE: externals and manual merge.

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> so in my <my-repos> I use svn propedit svn:externals to define on
external
> repository :
>
> 	my-repos/file1
> 	my-repos/file2
> 	my-repos/external/code-from-external/ext-file1
> 	my-repos/external/code-from-external/ext-file2
>
> but...my users want to modify (and they will) ext-file1 and ext-file2
and
> want those file under version control on my server (the external is on
> read-only).
>
> I think that's impossible, what's your opinion ?

This sounds a lot like using a vendor branch is what this situation
calls for.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.advanced.vendor
br

BOb