Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Guillaume Lahitette <gu...@lahitette.net> on 2005/04/29 16:09:26 UTC

Need your help to troubleshoot a Tomcat crash

Hello gurus,

* SETUP
This is Tomcat 4.1.26 on Win2K running with Tomcat Service Manager from http://web.bvu.edu/staff/david/tcservcfg/
JDK 1.4.1_03 with options "-Xms512 -Xmx1024 -Xss2048 -showversion -verbose:gc -Xloggc:c:\winnt\system32\PRTI-Report.log"
Connector config:
port="18580"               minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="150"
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

* PROBLEM
We're facing a problem whereby when we stress test our web application, the Tomcat service brutally crashes. Our problem is that it has been impossible to identify what made Tomcat (or the JVM?) crash: nothing shows in the logs, no JVM crash report in $TOMCAT_HOME/bin nor C:/WINNT/system32.

We don't know why but removing the JVM option "-server" has enabled the performance test to complete successfully.

* QUESTIONS
	* can I force Tomcat to give details about why & when it crashes?  Ideally, we'd need a stack trace...
	* is there a negative impact of running Windows as a service?
	* is anyone facing issues with JDK 1.4.1_03 running with the "-server" switch?
	* any recommendations for improving our setup?

Thanks in advance,
Guillaume