Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Da...@wellsfargo.com on 2003/08/11 20:19:59 UTC

reverse-db and reversedb2

All,

    I noticed these targets in the build.xml file.  Do these applications
work in that I can select tables from my existing database and have it
generate the initial XML config file for OJB?  If so, which one is best?  I
have tried to play with them with no success.

Re: reverse-db and reversedb2

Posted by Danilo Tommasina <dt...@risksys.com>.
Hi,

> All,
>
>     I noticed these targets in the build.xml file.  Do these applications
> work in that I can select tables from my existing database and have it
> generate the initial XML config file for OJB?  If so, which one is best?  I
> have tried to play with them with no success.

We are also using reverse engineering, our db model is very large and complex and we have a good db-design tool, so we prefere to adopt this way...
I got a look to reverse-db tools, however i have the impression they are still too 'young' and doesn't give me enough freedom on the model generation process.
If you look into the build-torque.xml ant script, you will find targets for generating repository and model from a jdbc connection. However I started with RC3 and the
velocity templates used for the repository/java code generation were still quite buggy (Maybe they are better now in RC4).
I did several modification, so now we can generate the repository and the java code formatted as we want and with several useful features already added to the model classes.
Drawback is that the templates we are using now are no longer globally usable :( but we spare lot of time, everytime there is a change in the database model.
So if you have the possibility to invest 3 or 4 days, you can adapt the velocity templates (and maybe the ant script) to your application.
In our case, for every db-table we have 2 classes, a base class that is always regenerated by the build script and only defines the setters/getters and a couple of constructors,
the second class extends the base one and is only created once, in this class you can put some more code to simplify access to the data (conversions and other utility methods)

hope i helped you
bye
danilo

reverse-db status

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
What is the status of reverse-db? I seem to be unable to make it work
with PostgreSQL still =/

-Brian