Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/22 14:41:35 UTC

Need description and scope of Apache Wicket project for graduation

All,

In order to get a positive vote on our graduation we need to get a
good description and specify the scope of the Apache Wicket project.
Currently the draft contains the following snippet:

"Apache Wicket Project", related to the creation and maintenance
of open-source software for component oriented web  development

Which is vague, too broad and requires some tuning. I'd like to get
some input from the community (that includes *you* too!) for improving
this.

The full (email address sensored) resolution can be found below.

Oh, and I need it ASAP!

Martijn

## Resolution to create a TLP from graduating Incubator podling

Establish the Apache Wicket project

       Foundation's purpose to establish a Project, to be known as
       "Apache Wicket Project", related to the creation and maintenance
       of open-source software for component oriented web
       development for distribution at no charge to the public.

       Committee (PMC) is hereby established pursuant to Bylaws
       of the Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Wicket PMC be and hereby is
       charged with the creation and maintenance of "Apache Wicket";
       and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Wicket" be and
       hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at
       the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
       Apache Wicket PMC, and to have primary responsibility for
       management of the projects within the scope of responsibility
       of the Apache Wicket PMC; and be it further

       Apache Wicket PMC:

         * Upayavira
         * Alex Karasulu
         * Sylvain Wallez
         * Martijn Dashorst
         * Ate Douma
         * Eelco Hillenius
         * Gwyn Evans
         * Jonathan Locke
         * Johan Compagner
         * Juergen Donnerstag
         * Igor Vaynberg
         * Matej Knopp
         * Janne Hietamäki
         * Frank Bille Jensen
         * Al Maw
         * Jean-Baptiste Quenot
         * Jan Blok

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Martijn Dashorst
       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Wicket, to serve
       in accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of
       Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death,
       resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or until
       a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Wicket Project be and hereby
       Incubator Wicket podling; and be it further

       Incubator Wicket podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
       PMC are hereafter discharged.

Re: Need description and scope of Apache Wicket project for graduation

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for your input. It has been very valuable. Even though
we didn't copy a verbatim description available in this thread, we
took the meaning of what you said and applied the legal lingo
necessary for a board resolution establishing the Apache Wicket
project.

       [...] to establish a Project, to be known as
       "Apache Wicket Project", related to the creation and maintenance
       of open source software, grounded in object oriented programming
       principles, for creating highly dynamic, component oriented web
       applications for distribution at no charge to the public.

You can see the proposal in its full glory here:

http://www.nabble.com/-VOTE--Graduate-Apache-Wicket-from-the-incubator-tf3811378.html

The proposals in this thread will certainly be incorporated into the
website and release notes. I thank you all for participating in this
effort, and I hope that you will continue trying to come up with a
great introductory paragraph for the Apache Wicket project.

Best regards,

Martijn

Wicket 1.2.6 contains a very important fix. Download Wicket now!
http://wicketframework.org

Re: Need description and scope of Apache Wicket project for graduation

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@gmail.com>.
No matter what comes out of this I have bookmarked this thread, because
there is quite a few good descriptions of Wicket, which can be used in other
connections :)

Frank

Posted by Johannes Fahrenkrug <jf...@gebeco.de>.
Ok, here's my take (I like some humor in project descriptions):

Apache Wicket is an Open-Source framework for creating component
oriented web applications that don't look and feel like 1996:
Developers can simply develop powerful state-of-the-art web applications
while harnessing the full potential of OOP but without the burden of
template languages and XML files; designers can create eye-candy with
plain old non-obfuscated HTML. Apache puts the "web" and the
"application" back in web application.

I know, the last sentence is pretty cheesy...

- Johannes

--

   Johannes Fahrenkrug
   Tel:    +49 (0)431 5446 246

   Gebeco GmbH & Co KG
   Holzkoppelweg 19
   D-24118 Kiel

   Handelsregister Kiel Nr. A 3964
   Steuernummer: 19 285 65407

   Geschäftsführung:
   Ury Steinweg, Vorsitzender der Geschäftsführung
   Thomas Bohlander

   Besuchen Sie uns auch unter / we are also available at:
   www.gebeco.de oder www.drtigges.de

Re: Need description and scope of Apache Wicket project for graduation

Posted by John Krasnay <jo...@krasnay.ca>.
Small edit:

...and are refreshingly free of the XML configuration files and
templating languages of other frameworks.

jk

Posted by John Krasnay <jo...@krasnay.ca>.

Posted by James McLaughlin <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.
Wicket is designed to be easily extensible as a component-based open-source
web framework, decoupled interface and dynamic code, easily integrated with
products like Spring and Hibernate and easily programmable with pure
Object-oriented design in the Java language. The core framework takes all
responsibility for URLs, bindings between data inputs and Models, Javascript
contributions from different components added to a single page, persistent
state of web pages, validation, localization and error reporting. Wicket's
main feature is: fun while coding.

PS: I took the structure from Tapestry's description :)...

--
Bruno Borges
Summa Technologies Inc.

Posted by Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <fr...@gmail.com>.
Excelent Quote.

Posted by James McLaughlin <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. Please edit away with abandoned. I think what is important is
that wicket is the only framework that is completely OO, and that is
why so many people are excited about it.

Posted by Nick Heudecker <nh...@gmail.com>.

AW: Need description and scope of Apache Wicket project for graduation

Posted by Korbinian Bachl <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.

Posted by Nick Heudecker <nh...@gmail.com>.
I honestly didn't even read the Tapestry site.  Oh well...

Posted by Korbinian Bachl <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.
if you put "robust" and "highly scalable" in it, you get this:
http://tapestry.apache.org/ (first sentence) :P

Posted by Nick Heudecker <nh...@gmail.com>.
Here's my swipe at it:

Posted by Korbinian Bachl <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.
I had about 5 different tries, but none short and elegant ... will think
about it tomorrow. If anyone finds a shorter or more elegant way to describe
it, I would be glad. The trouble is, that if you cut it too short then you
can just put *any* webframework into it and it still fits... (comes close to
b******t-bingo)

Korbinian

Posted by Korbinian Bachl <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.
>(that includes *you*
> too!) for improving this.

"Apache Wicket is an Open-Source framework for creating highly dynamic,
component oriented webapplications with ease as well as seperation of
concerns in mind.
Every Wicket component contains the HTML Markup (in an nearly unmodified
HTML File), potentially needed resources (CSS and or JavaScript) as well as
the logic in a POJO object - wich makes developing even in bigger teams a
breeze.
Therefore its based on basic Servlet technology and can be run in any Java
1.4 compliant webcontainer like Tomcat or Jetty.
The big plus on wicket is its very OO oriented way of doing things which
helps anyone with SWING background and gives a good learning curve compared
to other Frameworks."

this would be my 2 cent for a short intro (you didnt specify how long it
should be - if it should be longer then maybe put in: wicket cares for URLs,
AJAX is quite easy and can be achived without a single line of JS written by
yourself, very modular -> wicketstuff + wicketextension provide already a
nice base to start with)

Regards

Korbinian