Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Michael Mangeng <mi...@ideefix.net> on 2002/06/07 16:46:39 UTC

Tomcat/cocoon encoding problem

Hi

I´ve set the encoding of both the xsp and the xml serializer correctly. After i request the xml i get the right encoding - ISO-8859-1 in the <?xml ... ?> tag but german umlaut´s like äöü are replaced by '?'.

I´ve noticed the same problem when i use beans on my JSP Pages (without cocoon; only tomcat)
(Using äöü on a jsp works - but as soon as i set the data in a bean and then request it back - i have äöü instead of the umlauts in my string).

I´m using linux 2.4.17, jdk1.3.1, tomcat 4.1.2alpha and cocoon2.0.2.

So... Is there a anywhere a setting for the jvm, tomcat or cocoon that the umlauts are correctly displayed ?

greetings
mike

Re: Tomcat/cocoon encoding problem

Posted by KOZLOV Roman <r-...@opencascade.com>.
There is another solution (when using Tomcat) which is independent of a system
locale - to use default ("UTF-8") encoding for cocoon's components and in
client's browser.
The main problem which I've faced implementing the "UTF-8" solution is decoding
request parameters. However it is easy to fix it just using Tomcat's filters
(see
<CATALINA_HOME>\webapps\examples\WEB-INF\classes\filters\SetCharacterEncodingFilter.*).

Roman

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Michael Mangeng [mailto:michael.mangeng@ideefix.net]
>
> Hi
>
> thanx for your help but i´ve already solved the problem with the help
of Jan
> Uyttenhove.
> My locale settings on the linux box had to be changed too.
>
> I´ve written this points together: (hope they help if sombody get the
same
> probs):

As of Cocoon 2.0.3 (which has some XSP fixes) it should work like this:

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> How to use german umlauts on english *nix systems:
>
> sitemap.xmap:
> Use <encoding>ISO-8859-1</encoding> in the according (e.g. html)
> <map:serializer> tag.
>
> XML/XSP:
> Use: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

If you have time, try it.

Regards,
Vadim

Posted by KOZLOV Roman <r-...@opencascade.com>.